Flight Software Engineer, Embedded at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Flight Software Team is responsible for creating and maintaining the control software for our fleet of Dove, Superdove and Skysat satellites. We also build tools, payload software, radio software and work on next generation initiatives. As a member of the FSW team, you will be working on our next generation embedded systems for our future fleets of earth observation satellites. You will also be contributing to system design initiatives and helping drive our technical roadmap. This will involve working with a broad variety of disciplines, including our top-notch RF, electrical design and mission control teams!
Impact You’ll Own:
- Design, develop, test and debug software for our existing and future fleet of satellites, including software for embedded microcontrollers and FPGA related systems.
- Develop code for RTOS based controllers
- Develop code for close integration with the satellite hardware
- Design and improve systems with high reliability and resiliency requirements.
- Design, improve and promote procedures for safe, remote updates of satellite software.
- Collaborate in cross-functional teams to design new satellite systems, and improve existing satellite systems.
- Implement metrics to track and improve software quality and maturity.
What You Bring:
- Proven history of delivering high-quality code that solves problems.
- Strong collaborative design and coding skills, including a hunger for code reviews.
- At least 3 years (5+ years preferred) of programming experience in C / C++. Additional experience in systems languages such as Java, C#, Rust, Swift, Go is a plus.
- Python programming experience.
- Strong Linux fundamentals, preferably with emphasis on remote applications.
- Comfortable with common open-source development tools (GCC, make) in a Linux environment.
- Proponent of continuous integration and automated testing.
- Experience with DVCS such as git or mercurial.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with previous aerospace projects or cubesats.
- Experience in the mobile, networking, medical, robotics, IoT, or similar embedded device industries.
- A track record of leveling up rapidly in new, challenging areas.
- Experience with FPGA development.
- Knowledge of industry standards for software quality practices.
- Cool side projects, great life stories, robot ownership.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-MI1