Geospatial Software Engineer at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
We are looking for a Geospatial Software Engineer and provide an open-ended contract, full-time, 40 hours a week.
This role will be part of Planet’s Image Product Quality Assurance team which is responsible for end-to-end validation of our satellite imagery products.
Typical tasks will include:
- Develop processes, tools, and services to evaluate key performance indicators for imagery products derived from all our satellites (Doves, Skysats, and future constellations)
- Monitor trends and detect issues and collaborate with other teams to resolve them timely
- Support verification and validation testing for new products as well as product updates
Your contributions will help us deliver top quality imagery to customers worldwide and improve our data processing pipelines. If you are passionate about space, imagery and working with an international world-class team, then Planet is the right place for you.
What You Bring:
- Familiarity with remote sensing data
- Experience with digital image processing techniques
- Knowledge of algorithm development, statistical analysis
- Familiarity with Linux command-line and scripting
- Extensive experience writing production code in Python
- Knowledge or Experience of modern Software Development paradigms or concepts like Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration, etc
- Experience with cloud platforms such as Google Cloud or AWS
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- 5+ years of experience in a similar role
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Knowledge of radiative transfer, optics, detector operability, orbital mechanics,
- Significant experience of validating remote sensing products (optical sensors) and complex remote sensing data processing systems
- Experience with VirtualBox/Vagrant and/or Docker
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban)
- Knowledge of GDAL and other open-source GIS tools
- Experience CI tools such as Gitlab CI and Jenkins
- Good theoretical knowledge of radiometric and geometric calibration and validation techniques for optical sensors
- Knowledge of the electromagnetic spectrum, geodesy and photogrammetry
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Be part of a vibrant international company of 45+ nationalities with office locations in different countries
- Sense of belonging in a diverse and inclusive culture
- Experience a fast-paced spacetech environment
- Countless opportunities to connect within and outside of work with regular team events
- Personal development with annual L&D budget
- Join our regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Employee Resource Groups that provide safe and empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
- Give back to the community by using one day per quarter for charitable work as part of our 1% Pledge
- Health programs and flexible working hours to support work life balance
- Be part of our growth: we offer equity options for our employees
- Daily virtual mindful bodywork sessions to stay healthy
- We offer equipment and wellbeing support during these challenging times
- Enjoy a spacious central office located in U/S-bahn Zoologischer Garten
- Employees’ well-being is our top priority: on site massages, snacks, fruits, drinks and company lunches
- Additional contributions to Company Pension schemes
- Enjoy unique offers and discounts for companies/web shops
- Additional Company Holidays
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-NB1