Ground Stations Site Reliability Engineer at Planet (San Francisco, CA)
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.About the Role:
As an SRE at Planet you will be a member of an Operations team focused on >99% uptime of a geographically diverse Ground Station network. The network is composed of a mix of cloud infrastructure, physical servers, networking equipment, and industrial controllers working in unison to autonomously track and communicate with Planet’s 150+ satellite constellation.
Planet’s satellites generate a substantial dataset and moving that data across the Ground Station network daily poses ever changing design goals for our Operations Team. The Ground Station team works closely with Spacecraft Operators and Mission Control engineers to autonomously control the spacecraft and bring the data back to Earth.Impact You’ll Own
- Contribute to the design, operation, and reliability of a growing global Ground Station Network spanning 6 continents.
- You will partner and collaborate with various teams with Planet, ranging from Mission Operations to Spacecraft design, to ensure the Ground Station Network meets all of the needs to achieve Planet’s missions.
- A software development experience to help our team automate, build, and manage a diverse and evolving mixture of software and hardware.
- Experience in operating systems over worldwide networks and how to troubleshoot complex network and software issues.
- An engineering mindset of empirically improving the availability and performance of our Ground Station network.
- Have you ever ssh’d into a satellite? Let us know
- Software development experience in Python, Bash, or another modern language
- Experience developing, testing, and deploying software in a production environment especially with docker or other container technologies
- Experience provisioning, automating, and monitoring software on Linux
- Extensive use of configuration management tools like Ansible
- Experience installing and troubleshooting network routing and switching infrastructure
- Strong understanding of RF communication and satellite communication protocols
- Strong understanding of the OSI model, VPNs, TCP, BGP, and other network protocols
- Strong understanding of security best practices in production environments
- Experience developing deep software instrumentation, logging, and analyzing aggregated information especially time-series data
- Strong mentorship and/or leadership qualities
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-MZ1