Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.ABOUT YOU AND THE ROLE
Do you enjoy tackling the most cross-disciplinary parts of a complex program? Do you love solving business-critical problems with little direction, a high degree of ownership, and the freedom to make it happen? At Zipline our work is intended for the field. Patients are counting on it today--there is no time for coming up short. If being an engineering leader on the team driving us to achieve our ambitious goals to scale operations and production, improve reliability, level-up our customer experience, plus develop our next generation aircraft system appeals to you, read on.
Zipline is at the forefront of a logistics revolution: We design, manufacture, and operate our own fleet of autonomous drones to make deliveries of vital medical supplies to people in need within minutes, 7 days a week. Today, we fly the equivalent of twice around the equator every week.
Zipline was founded by engineers dedicated to making the world a better place. We are scaling around the world and we need someone to join our team who is excited to help level up Systems Engineering at Zipline. Every day, your commitment and leadership will help save lives.WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Grow and lead a world class Systems Engineering team at Zipline that will help you accomplish the following across all programs at Zipline
- Serve as a trusted technical expert of high-reliability, safety-critical systems from concept phase to mass production
- Establish requirements tools and processes including training teams on requirements best practices
- Own top level requirement definition, decomposition, and verification
- Create and maintain systems models, analysis, and budgets to support requirement decomposition
- Ensure all top level requirements are well owned, including some within the systems team; for example reliability and safety top level goals, decomposition analysis (such as fault trees), and derived requirements
- Set the bar for requirement verification – for example making sure a requirement isn’t just met once but we have regression testing for it in place and have demonstration over representative conditions
- Set the bar for hardware and software release standards and test requirements
- Drive cross disciplinary efforts – for example aligning on a plan of record to achieve a flight reliability milestone and then following through to achieving the milestone
- Develop a process for incident response, root cause, and mitigation tracking
- Own systems and safety engineering deliverables to regulators
- Safety critical electromechanical system experience, for example in medical, aerospace, or autonomous vehicle fields including systems/vehicle design experience
- Real-world experience delivering hardware products to customers
- Ability to solve complex multidisciplinary problems on schedule independently
- The ability to dive in when appropriate to solve problems using tools such as your modeling language/tool of choice, systems modeling, and statistical analysis among others
- Knowledge from designing systems that were resilient to harsh climatic environments, mechanical vibration, ESD, and/or high electrical noise
- Experience with not only fail-safe fault tolerant modes but also fail-operative modes that enable the system to continue to operate through faults
- A proven track record implementing requirements on programs including processes, definition, decomposition, and verification
- Previous involvement in achieving regulatory approvals in greenfield application
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!