Does pushing the envelope in the regulated landscape of drone delivery to reach millions more patients excite you? Do you find comfort leading teams of people through ambiguity, clearly determining an action plan to drive the best designs forward on a hours/days timescale? Do you look at safety critical systems, and immediately expose potential weaknesses, and then successfully defend the design to a regulator? Does driving reliability a scale excite you more than the quick wins of early design? At Zipline our work is intended for the field. Patients are counting on it today--there is no time for aiming low or for coming up short.
Zipline was founded by engineers dedicated to making the world a better place. We are scaling around the world and are looking for a talented Engineer to join our team who is excited to drive simple, elegant solutions to complex problems that will help save lives every day.
As the Lead Mechanical Engineer of our air vehicle you will be responsible for bringing next generations of the product from feature set to production. You will use your demonstrated history of leading teams through development in a regulated landscape and know when to follow convention vs when to innovate over it. This position places an emphasis on working closely with a multi-disciplinary engineering team to develop and test sophisticated hardware designs. You identify when to speed up, and when to slow down in a project to execute on tight timelines. You measure time to close on an issue in hours or days, not weeks or months. You bring with you a passion for aviation, and the excitement to champion technology that is first of its kind.
Must have experience / skills sets
- Prior experience owning a design from concept through production of a safety critical component or subsystem in regulated environment (Aviation/medical/automotive)
- Technical leadership experience; you’ve owned major technical trades and design decisions with broad cross functional impact
- Experienced design to aerospace or automotive level validation standards
- Excellent communication, written, verbal, and visual
- Team builder, experience mentoring high caliber teammates, including those better than you in their craft
- Passion for the aviation industry and pioneering designs in regulated environments
Nice to have
- Demonstrated understanding of the FAA certification process
- Identification of clean configuration and change control processes as an engineering stakeholder
- Experience with DFMEA or fault tree analysis as a design tool
- You’ve grown a team, you’re experienced with hiring and people management
If you’d like to learn more about Zipline and our teams, feel free to check out our Instagram, one of our Reddit AMA’s, or our website!