Wing is reshaping the future of delivery. We are an on-demand drone delivery service that can deliver food, medicine or other items within minutes. We’ve also developed an unmanned traffic management platform to safely route drones through the sky. Our service is faster, safer and produces far less pollution than traditional delivery. Originally created in 2012 within X, the Moonshot Factory, Wing is now an Alphabet company.
About the Role:
Wing is looking for a Linux Platform Engineer to join our team in Palo Alto, CA.
As a Linux Platform Engineer, you will use your experience building, maintaining and debugging Linux-based systems and applications (including networking / connectivity and configuration) for our fleet of unmanned aerial vehicles.
What You’ll Do:
- Build and maintain custom Linux-based embedded distributions (Ubuntu, Yocto), executing on various processor architectures such as Intel (x86-64) or Freescale ARM
- Combine custom OS configurations with scripts and applications to achieve high reliability across several critical functions, including system initialization, error management, and wireless communications
- Maintain OS kernels, drivers and applications to ensure proper support of all peripherals, devices, and applications on board
- Create and improve tools handling logging and alerting on OS performance metrics
- Track the evolution of, and maintain distribution environments, as well as integrating build, configuration and deployment automation
- Provide platform support across several development teams, bringing OS, networking, and configuration expertise to the resolution of complex issues
- Participate in the team's software processes, including: requirements and design documentation, test-plan generation and execution, peer design and code reviews, process feedback and improvements
What You'll Need:
- Strong familiarity with Linux system internals and operating environment
- Experience developing for low-level Linux-based systems (e.g. IoT, routers)
- Experience working with both Wifi and Cellular connectivity stacks
- Proficient programming with C/C++, Python, Bash
- Knowledge of OS platform security
- 5+ years experience in Linux systems development, management
- Must thrive and adapt to structured SW development processes (code reviews, version control, unit test development, on-hardware test & debugging)
- Experience implementing system security (e.g. encrypted file systems, secure boot)
- Direct experience with Linux-based embedded networking platforms (e.g. OpenWRT, DD-WRT) a strong plus
- Experience working on network connectivity reliability a plus
- Passion for Aviation or UAV (Drones)