Manager, Software Engineering - Safety Event Triage at Samsara (San Francisco, CA or Remote)
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations™ Cloud, which is a platform that enables organizations that depend on physical operations to harness Internet of Things (IoT) data to develop actionable insights and improve their operations. At Samsara, we are helping improve the safety, efficiency and sustainability of the physical operations that power our global economy. Representing more than 40% of global GDP, these industries are the infrastructure of our planet, including agriculture, construction, field services, transportation, and manufacturing — and we are excited to help digitally transform their operations at scale.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including Video-Based Safety, Vehicle Telematics, Apps and Driver Workflows, Equipment Monitoring, and Site Visibility. As part of a recently public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
Glassdoor's Highest-Rated Tech Companies for Culture and Values 2023
Great Place To Work Certified™ 2023
Best Place to Work by Built In 2023
Financial Times The Americas’ Fastest Growing Companies 2023
Deloitte Fast 500 Companies
We see a profound opportunity for data to improve the safety, efficiency, and sustainability of operations, and hope you consider joining us on this exciting journey.
About the role:
Samsara is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to join our growing Safety team. The global, connected fleets of Samsara customers are using our AI dash cameras to continuously detect unsafe driving behaviors. Safety Managers then use these video examples to coach risky driver behaviors and recognize/reward safe driving. You will oversee the team that ensures that relevant driving events are surfaced to customers and ensures that safety managers can triage these events quickly and efficiently.
In FY23, we detected 110M+ AI-based safety events and analyzed 40B+ miles worth of driving data. Ensuring these events are relevant and actionable has never been more important, and is a key challenge as we continue to scale AI detections.
This team owns the customer-facing interface and presentation (via web, mobile, and API) for Samsara customers to review and triage safety events. The team collaborates closely with other Safety teams (including the Machine Learning & AI engineering teams) to enable new detection types of safety events and unsafe driving behaviors and works with Product and Design partners to deeply understand customer workflows to optimize effectiveness for Samsara’s customers.
The potential for scale and impact is huge, come join us to make roads safer!
You should apply if:
- You want to impact the industries that run our world: Your efforts will result in real-world impact—helping to keep the lights on, get food into grocery stores, reduce emissions, and most importantly, ensure workers return home safely.
- You are the architect of your own career: If you put in the work, this role won’t be your last at Samsara. We set up our employees for success and have built a culture that encourages rapid career development, countless opportunities to experiment and master your craft in a hyper growth environment.
- You’re energized by our opportunity: The vision we have to digitize large sectors of the global economy requires your full focus and best efforts to bring forth creative, ambitious ideas for our customers.
- You want to be with the best: At Samsara, we win together, celebrate together and support each other. You will be surrounded by a high-caliber team that will encourage you to do your best.
Click here to learn about what we value at Samsara.
In this role, you will:
- Participate with senior leadership and cross-functional peers to develop a long-term roadmap and strategy for Samsara’s API and event review features
- Lead a team of full-stack engineers to execute on the roadmap, and expand and scale the event review platform
- Raise operational excellence and establish scalable processes for execution
- Provide customers with access to a consistent and comprehensive set of data via API access and our cloud dashboard
- Deliver an industry best-in-class experience that is simple, intuitive, and scalable to our ever-increasing AI detections and customer base
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
- Hire, develop and lead an inclusive, engaged, and high performing team
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 8+ years of relevant software engineering work experience
- 3+ years of hands-on technical management experience
- Experience building scalable, mission-critical SaaS applications
- Experience operating, maintaining, and improving upon large-scale application services, with feedback loops for continuous improvement
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (including listening, speaking, and writing) and ability to work well in a diverse, team-focused environment
- Proven track record for innovation and delivering value to customers
- Proven record of attracting top talent and coaching the team
An ideal candidate also has:
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or other technical degree
- Experience building customer-facing web and mobile workflow applications
- 3-5 years of experience in development of public-facing APIs
We pay for performance, and top performers are eligible to receive above target equity refresh awards which allow employees to achieve higher market positioning.
The range of annual base salary for full-time employees for this position is below. Please note that base pay offered may vary depending on factors including your city of residence, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email [email protected] or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
Full time employees receive an above market total compensation package along with employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.