Manufacturing Quality Engineer at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
We are looking for an experienced, hands on Manufacturing Quality Engineer to be responsible for the implementation of quality management system, process design and improvement and NPI implementation. The successful candidate will be able to implement basic and advanced aspects of quality management systems such as CAR/SCAR process, performance metrics, documentation release process, audit process…etc. Candidate will also have experience in manufacturing processes improvement in order to gain efficiency and capacity, reduce cost, improve sustainability and maximize resource utilization. The person in this position will work closely with product design engineers (ME and EE), manufacturing personnel, test and maintenance as well as supply chain teams.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Develop and update quality standards
- Create Incoming Quality Inspection standard and process
- Define vendor quality management criteria and audit process
- Monitor and analyze quality performance, create reports and dashboards
- Effectively mange QM meetings and reviews, drive for excellence
- Coordinate quality system rollout with functional mangers
- Develop, configure and optimize mfg. processes from inception through to start up and validation
- Assess processes, take measurements, interpret data and develop future state value stream map
- Conduct gap analysis and create bridge map to achieve desired future state
- Conduct and coordinate Lean KAIZEN events including
- Develop best practices, routines and innovative solutions to improve production rates and quality of output
- Perform process simulations and digital KAIZEN
- Perform day-to-day manufacturing quality support on the production line
- Perform risk assessments (FMEA)
- Provide process documentation and operating instructions
- Proven work experience in process quality engineering
- Excellent communication skills
What You Bring:
- 4-year engineering degree required
- 3 to 5 years of experience in quality engineering, quality assurance or manufacturing engineering operations
- Strong mechanical aptitude and desire to work in manufacturing
- Familiarity with health and safety regulations (OSHA)
- Working knowledge of ISO9002 or AS9002 quality systems (ideally familiar with ISO/AS implementation and audit process)
- Analytical thinker with interpersonal skills
- Lean Six Sigma Certification preferred (Green Belt or Black Belt)
- AS Q certification preferred
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-MI1