Does the prospect of transitioning a company from prototype to volume manufacturing excite you? Can you cut through the fog of multiple, competing requests to focus on the important and urgent priorities required to accomplish a long-term goal? If your answers here are yes, then we’ve been looking for you: Please read on.
In this role, you will own our Manufacturing Quality initiatives. This is going to be a dynamic and ever-evolving role. We are working in close partnership with the FAA to design a quality system that will be the first of its kind in the UAS space.What You'll Do
The Long Term Goal:
- Reduce the outgoing inspection at Zipline to virtually zero by driving advanced quality planning and Root Cause Analysis / Corrective Action / Preventive Action (RCCAPA) activities.
- Improve first pass yield, eliminate rejects, rework and scrap issues.
- Plan, organize, direct and conduct quality planning activities within the Design Engineering , Manufacturing, Material Planning, New Product Introduction (NPI) and Supply Chain teams.
- Implement and maintain Zipline's Quality System in compliance with FAA CFR 21.137.
- Develop, manage, audit and correct planning and execution of component manufacturing and assembly techniques and quality control processes to ensure they meet increasing quality, delivery and reliability requirements.
- Track and improve manufacturing process development and launch readiness for design changes and new products.
- Guide Design and Manufacturing in developing exceptionally robust processes and procedures to promote seamless and efficient production of high quality assemblies.
- Collaborate with Zipline Design, Supplier Quality and Manufacturing/NPI to understand ideal performance requirements and metrics.
- Push quality upstream by ensuring that issues are permanently corrected at the source through root cause analysis.
- Drive improvements utilizing Lean methodologies, Statistical Process Control (SPC), and key performance metrics.
- Ensure regulatory compliance, while driving systematic problem solving and process-improvement plans.
- Develop strong and positive relationships with all cross functional teams to implement and track design changes, capacity studies and New Product Introductions.
- Participate in Design for Manufacturability (DFM) reviews, guide manufacturing in efficient use of poka-yokes, best methods of gauging, and correct tools or assembly equipment to use. Provide feedback to Zipline Design teams to ensure alignment and incorporation of feedback during validation build phases.
- Drive advanced quality planning and RCCAPA so that the quality of our parts is excellent at the source and thus require no receiving inspection at our customers.
- Guide and implement improvements in scalability, cost, and quality.
- You have worked for at least 3 years in a fast paced and high growth environment as a Quality Engineer and/or Supplier Quality Engineer.
- You have successfully launched, into volume production, complex assemblies using quality planning from prototype through mass production stages.
- You have worked with an established Quality System and applied it to improve product quality (applicable standards are AS9100/ISO9001/IATF16949).
- You have achieved measurable results with implementing Product Quality Planning (applicable examples are Advanced Product Quality Planning, Production Part Approval Process, Process Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, SPC).
- You have participated in a product design effort and thus know what it takes to transition from prototype to volume production (if you used any CAD system like NX, Altium, OrCAD, Solidworks that is a big plus!).
- You understand the value of methods such as 8D, 5-WHY, Pareto Charts and Fishbone Diagrams because you have achieved measurable results by using them and influencing others to do the same.
- You can thrive in structured and unstructured environments and are not dissuaded at the prospect of making hard choices about what is important and urgent against a backdrop of limited resources.
- You have a good understanding of and have successfully implemented gates within a product development process and achieved the intended results.
- You have strong project management skills with demonstrated ability to drive tough timelines with key stakeholders internally and externally.