Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.About You and The Role
Does working on large integrated electro-mechanical systems from conception through fully scaled production and world-wide deployment excite you? Does hearing people say something is too difficult or impossible make you want to jump in head first? Do you enjoy being the “go to” engineer on the ground, analyzing system performance, solving problems live when our systems are powered on for the first time? At Zipline our work is intended for the field. Patients are counting on it today--there is no time for aiming low or for coming up short. If leveraging your talent to drive creating elegantly engineered solutions excites you read on!
Zipline believes access to medical care should not depend on your GPS coordinates. We are at the forefront of a logistics revolution, using autonomous aircraft to deliver just-in-time, lifesaving medical supplies on 3 continents around the world right now, 7 days a week. Are you interested in building a system that 200 million people will depend on with their lives?What You'll Do
As a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, you will use your core technical competencies to develop innovative products for our ground systems equipment. You do not let “how it is normally done” artificially limit the potential solution space but leverage your experiences, knowledge, and first principles thinking towards problem solving to create an optimal product. Physical scale does not daunt you whether the mechanism fits within your hand or is 10 meters long, you will engineer systems that will only come together days before they are needed, so we’re counting on you to make sure they work the first time. You are comfortable solving complex problems with little direction and maximum autonomy. Hand calcs guide your thinking and designs and help you quickly bound a problem. You are biased to action and an efficient optimizer leaning on best practices and proven processes seemingly always getting things done in half the time. You are a technical mentor and resources to others on the team, able to share best practices and review work with junior members on the team.
MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE / SKILL SETS
- 5+ years of experience - proven track record of complex subassemblies or full systems over at least 3 product programs (concept, prototype, validation, production)
- Demonstrated CAD fluency for system level ownership - 3D/2D of 20-40 parts simultaneously
- Demonstrated core competencies - GD&T, FEA for multi-body structural and thermal applications, design for assembly & field operations
- Capable of simplifying a complex problem and provide an initial analysis to scope critical constraints and feature sizing with hand calcs (beam, buckling, bolts)
- Knowledge in applying appropriate FOS and margin to human safety critical application (design margin tables, structural joint calculations)
- Experienced creating high fidelity mathematical system models (Matlab, Python, MathCAD, Excel)
- Excellent communication - written, verbal, and visual. You know how to tailor to your audience with the right level of technical depth
- Prior technical mentorship to more junior colleagues
NICE TO HAVE
- NX is your primary CAD tool
- Prior experience designing automated capex industrial equipment or robotics requiring 99.9% uptime
- Working knowledge using electrical components & microcontrollers (ex. raspberry pi)
- Experienced design to aerospace or automotive level validation standards
- Comfortable with data analysis in Python
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
If you’d like to learn more about Zipline and our teams, feel free to check out our Instagram, one of our Reddit AMA’s, or our website!