Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.About You and The Role
At Zipline we thrive on finding elegant solutions to complex problems, given what exists today and what we can develop to maturity quickly and confidently. We stay close to our customers, learn what really works, and find where we can put the leverage to make a big difference for them now. In Guidance, Navigation, Controls, and Dynamics, this means we build novel solutions in house to enable the kind of quality we need.
The GNC&D team at Zipline is looking to add a Navigation Engineer to both improve our current system and design our next-generation navigation system to meet future needs. Your expertise will help ensure our autonomous aircraft always knows what’s going on from launch until recovery!
- Develop innovative solutions to improve the operational performance of our current navigation system
- Test your solutions in an operations-focused flight test environment, enabling fast design iterations and rapid deployment to meet customer needs
- Work closely with our GPS system and get familiar with the underlying real-time kinematic (RTK) algorithms
- Design a new tightly-coupled GPS-aided inertial navigation system to provide precise position and attitude estimation fused together from a variety of sensor measurements, including (but not limited to) GPS, inertial measurement units , and visual odometry sensors
- Design custom wind/air-relative state estimation algorithms
- Design onboard navigation integrity checks to communicate when the system performance is degraded
- Work with a multidisciplinary team to evaluate, select, and integrate next-generation navigation sensors into our vehicles
- Utilize flight test data and first principles to develop sensor models for use in our aircraft simulation and to inform trade studies
- Create tools, tests, and analyses to demonstrate the performance of your designs using both theoretical guarantees and Monte Carlo simulations
- Present your results to your teammates and generate buy-in for your work.
- Collaborate with the rest of the GNC&D group and Flight Software to provide technical feedback and review your teammate’s work
- Expertise in state estimation, specifically in one or more of the following areas: precision inertial navigation (RTK GPS), sensor fusion, or high-fidelity sensor simulation
- Experience working in navigation for aircraft or other other autonomous systems (3+ years); clean sheet development experience preferred
- Strong mathematical fundamentals in linear algebra, statics, probability, and Bayesian estimation
- A track record of developing and demonstrating quality systems/software that are deployed in the real world
- Experience conducting or overseeing functional testing
- Software engineering skills, specifically working with both embedded software (C, C++, etc) and technical computing languages/packages (MATLAB, NumPy, Julia, etc.)
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with changing external conditions (regulations, business necessities)
- A self-motivated attitude, with the ability to manage your own responsibilities in an unstructured work environment
- Excellent technical communication skills to collaborate with other teams and stakeholders and to give quality feedback for continual product and processes improvement
What Else You Need To Know
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!