Principal Software Engineer - Full Stack Web Development
ABOUT THE ROLE:
As part of a "startup-within-a-startup", the Udemy for Business engineering team works closely with other engineering teams, as well as our product management and design team peers, to develop the core experience for business learners on our platform, helping them find the right course and engage directly with course content. We are looking for a senior engineer to join us in providing tools that enable business learners to do what comes next.
Here's what you'll be doing:
- Collaborating with other engineering, product management, and design, teams to define initiatives and features
- Developing, testing, documenting, and releasing full-stack, end-to-end features for Udemy's web application that supports over 20 million students worldwide and 80,000 courses
- Planning, organizing, and getting work done in 2-week sprints
- Participating in code reviews as well as post-deployment site monitoring
- Mentoring team members in software development best practices and processes
- Leading by example and contribute to a team culture that values quality, robustness, and scalability while fostering innovation
- Researching and evaluating new technologies that may improve our processes or code bases
- At times, functioning as a technical lead for various projects/tasks. This may involve some project, resource, and deployment planning in additional to software engineering responsibilities
We’re excited about you because you have:
- 7+ years of professional software development experience
- Knowledge of object-oriented design and computer science fundamentals (data structures, algorithms)
- Experience with web application development using modern framework ORMs (e.g. Django, Rails, Symfony, CodeIgniter, etc.)
- RDBMS (e.g. MySQL) and SQL knowledge
- Experience with Python or other scripting languages such as Ruby, PHP, etc
- Knowledge of modern JS libraries/frameworks (e.g. React, Angular, JQuery, etc.) as well as MobX and Webpack
- Experience with Linux/unix
- Knowledge of testing methods, including back-end and front-end unit and integration tests
- The ability to learn, work with, and migrate, existing code bases
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 50 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News
Udemy Raises 50 Million at a 2 Billion Dollar Valuation from Japanese Publisher Benesse
Paid Paternity Leave Should be the Norm in the U.S.
Breakdown of Most In-Demand Skills for 2020—Finance, Marketing, Sales and Engineering
How Investing in Yourself Today Will Set You Up for Career Success Tomorrow
Feedback Isn’t the Problem, but the Way That We Deliver It Is Broken
Read Full Job Description