Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the role:
Planet is looking for a satellite tasking engineer to support the team in the San Francisco office to schedule and optimize image collections for Planet’s satellite constellations. Our Collection Planning team is located in San Francisco, California and Berlin, Germany.
The new team member shall have proven experience with remote sensing and ideally mission planning systems. A demonstrated record of working with GIS tools to manipulate geospatial files for ingestion into ordering systems and management of satellite collection schedules, leveraging varied data sources, is required. The Planner’s main focus is to ensure that collection orders meet customer service level agreements and ensure a high quality of our products. We are looking for candidates with experience in fine-tuning output from collection feasibility systems with strong emphasis on cloud analysis and forecasting with excellent communication skills.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Optimize image collection schedules based on customer needs, imaging parameters (such as image collection geometry) as they relate to collection capacity and resulting image quality
- Regular tracking and reporting of collection success
- Identification of technical and procedural issues and initiation to resolve them
- Collaboration with flight operations to ensure functionalities of the satellites
- Collaboration with customer-facing teams to ensure customer expectations are met
- Develop and maintain imaging metrics/statistics as they relate to collection yield
- Analyze collection satellite data and leveraging software programs to capture patterns/correlations to optimize and support continuous automation of operational routines
- Collaboration with teams across the company
What You Bring:
- Geospatial/Remote Sensing Degree is preferred & (3+ years with relevant working experience)
- Fundamentals of remote sensing and image processing
- Proficient knowledge of GIS tools like QGIS
- High motivation to work in a dynamic startup environment with rapidly updating priorities
- Ability to triage, prioritize, and execute several independent tasks simultaneously in a dynamic operational environment
- Independently working team player with excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Problem solving oriented and self-starter attitude
- Data-driven mindset and comfort with statistical analysis
- Ability and willingness to support operational emergencies outside of normal business hours
- Understand impact of changes within a complex technical environment
- Experience with Python or other programming languages
- Knowledge in visualizing and understanding BigQuery data using DataStudio
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with DB and/or ready-to-use knowledge in bash scripting is a great plus
- Experience with satellite acquisition planning concepts is a plus
- Experience using project management tools and issue trackers
- Motivated to learn from other teams who closely collaborate with Collection Planning
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-MI1