Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
As a security engineer, the right candidate will be responsible for safeguarding Planet’s applications, systems and data. The candidate will need a strong technical software and network security background. As a Security engineer, you will be involved in identifying and addressing security vulnerabilities across different products at Planet. This position requires working with different stakeholders throughout the product development lifecycle, driving security architecture reviews, manual code reviews, working with developers in fixing security vulnerabilities and hands-on security assessment of various services and applications.
What You Bring:
- Candidates must have a solid technical background, knowledge of security concepts and experience leading or participating in projects.
- Experience working with cloud computing platforms like GCP and AWS
- Hands-on experience with penetration testing and security assessment tools like Zeek, Burp Suite, Wireshark, Drozer, Nmap etc
- Ability to develop in-house security tools
- Knowledge of Operating systems internals, UNIX and TCP/ IP fundamentals
- Strong familiarity with OWASP top 10 web vulnerabilities and mitigations techniques
- Experience responding to security incidents in a timely manner
- Ability to work effectively in situations involving uncertainty or lack of information and respond favorably and able to achieve objectives working with others across teams and organizations
- Drive processes and systems to support the success of Planet's products
- Experience in triaging security events from multiple data sources.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Bachelor or a Master of Science degree in an Engineering discipline with a focus in Information Security.
- 4-5 years of professional experience in a security focused role
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Compensation (For Colorado Applicants Only):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $138,600- $211,500. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.#LI-REMOTE#LI-CL1