We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 73 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got good vibes. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
The security team ensures our technology maintains the high bar that has earned us the trust of millions of users who are buying, selling and storing billions of dollars worth of digital assets in our products. We measure ourselves by the impact of the work we do, striving to efficiently lower technical risk at Coinbase. The nature of digital assets we custody causes our work to be focused entirely preventatively, and we fully embrace ‘shifting left.’ We’re looking for kindred souls who believe security is collaborative and prevention is the only scalable security solution. Our developer team moves quickly.
What you’ll be doing:
- You will become the primary security expert for multiple product lines, and act as the point of contact for engineering and security.
- Perform architecture reviews to steer projects in the right direction early, participate in security code reviews, and perform penetration testing against products prior to shipping.
- You will help to automate common tasks and patterns so that we don’t have to churn through the same code twice. We have open sourced our Static Analysis orchestrator (Salus), and are always looking to make it better.
- Support engineering with implementing security fixes, ensuring security scanners are utilized correctly, and develop strategies to proactively secure their architecture.
- Review development frameworks for security functionality, consistency, and uplift opportunities.
- Create threat models for products you’re responsible for, and leverage them to prioritize time based on risk impact.
- Educate and train product teams on security topics and skills to extend AppSec’s reach by deputizing product teams to help themselves.
What we look for in you:
- Our hiring process tests your competencies in our core technical skillset as described in the ‘what you’ll be doing’ section. Having a history exhibiting high quality execution in our core competencies will help your case.
- We expect each member of our team to embody our core principles: Collaborate and over communicate; Prioritize impact; Maintain a high personal standard; Share knowledge and experience; Drive a culture of ownership and responsibility.
- Our technical space spans many Protocols, Languages, and Frameworks. Proficiency in at least one of them is required. Current areas are: Blockchains, AWS (Serverless & otherwise), Docker, Ruby (Rails and otherwise), Golang, NodeJS, Android (Java/Kotlin), iOS (Swift, ObjC), Python. We have more minor use-cases for Java, C/C++, and Rust.
- As a security partner, we expect you to be capable of shifting between executing on reviews, writing standards, and writing code.
Nice to haves:
- Experience working in a high security and/or highly regulated industry. We would love to have you take the essentials of what you’ve learned and apply them to the unique challenges Coinbase faces in Digital Assets.
- If you have extensive experience securing large Rails, NodeJS, and Golang codebases, we can immediately start applying what you’ve learned to the code we are asked to secure. Experience training others on how to secure those codebases is a plus.
- If you’re fluent in Digital Assets, you’ll have less to learn about the fundamentals of our business, but we do not immediately decline candidates who are not totally fluent.
- If you have open source application security tooling to your name, we’d love to take a look and understand what problem you are solving and how your solution works. We heavily encourage Open Source contributions!
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.