Senior Engineering Manager, Cloud at Expedia Group
Launched in 2000, Hotwire is one of the earliest innovators in the online travel arena and part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
Our roots are in California, and we also have offices in Seattle along with an important and fast-growing product & technology presence in Gurgaon, India. Hotwire has the energy and pace of a startup, plus the stability and backing of the incredible Expedia family of companies. Hotwire’s culture centers around delivering value to customers and supply partners by being passionate about building great products with the newest technologies available. We pride ourselves on our organizational transparency, a bias for action and a customer-centric approach to everything we do.
Hotwire differentiates itself as a brand within the travel marketplace by offering a unique core value proposition for customers and suppliers with our opaque pricing model. This concept revolves around offering great bargains on hotel room nights without sharing the specific name or location of the hotel until the booking is complete. By giving this flexibility to our suppliers, we can offer great value to our customers. Hotwire also offers a full retail suite of other travel products that can fulfill virtually any customer travel need.
Why Hotwire you ask? In short: We are eager and energetic. We love the journey as much as the destination. We love being part of the Expedia brands but stay true to ourselves.
Working with us is all about inspiration, challenge, collaboration and having a say in what you do. Hotwire’s got the energy of a startup, PLUS, the stability of being part of the Expedia family of companies -- the largest travel company in the world! As a travel company, our business gets people out of their ordinary routines and into journeys that often surpass their dreams! As part of our company culture, we are passionate about helping our customers find the best travel deals and we’re constantly talking to them to understand how we can create better travel experiences. Strong emphasis on collaboration and teamwork is the norm, not to mention that we consistently make time to celebrate our awesome accomplishments and each other! Wouldn’t you love to be a part of this?
We thrive on delivering solutions to develop our industry niche in an agile work environment. We offer an open work environment, great travel perks, company-sponsored outings, and we take the time to invest in our community through volunteerism and philanthropy. Our employees are given opportunities to focus on their career development and we have a very forward-thinking approach to annual reviews and employee performance.
As you can see, it's different here. If you love travel and want to help our customers realize their travel dreams you're landing at the right place. Welcome! Now prepare for career take-off!
We're looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to support our Cloud team. Do you think you're the ideal candidate? Then you are obsessed with automation, configuration management, cloud computing, performance and uptime. You are passionate about getting more done, faster, with less effort.
You also know that the most powerful and important part of your arsenal is the people you lead. Your team will be the DevOps Engineers who own the platform and services used to deploy, run and monitor our software in a rapid, highly available and secure manner.
· Guide the Hotwire Cloud team in their primary mission of enabling the platform needs of Hotwire.
· Ensure that this platform is resilient, secure, efficient, performant, and as automated as possible.
· Provide visibility into that platform through effective monitoring and accurate, timely data.
· Ensure that Hotwire’s platform & processes meet security & legal requirements.
· Drive toward the highest degree of automation wherever possible.
· Ensure that team’s processes and technologies are documented, preferably self-documenting.
· Stay up to date on the latest industry trends in service test and delivery.
· Explore the trends or technologies that could provide value to Hotwire and coordinate POCs.
· Ensure that the tools, platforms and process of the team continue to improve and evolve.
· Develop skills of the team, across the team as a whole and per team member.
· Support the growth of team members in their chosen career direction, ensure continuity of their current roles on the team.
· Act as a mentor, both technical and otherwise, for your team.
· Act as a technical escalation point for your team.
Key skills include:
· 8+ years of hands-on experience in Linux-based, 24x7 enterprise environments
· 5+ years managing operationally-focused engineering teams
· 3+ years of experience running Production services in a public cloud environment
· Clear and confident interpersonal and communications skills
· Ability to prioritize and balance conflicting demands on your team
· Ability to make quick decisions as well as thoughtful, well researched plans
· Track record with researching, implementing and improving a range of technologies
· Ability to create and improve policies and processes
· Ability to act as a technical escalation point for anyone on your team
· Experience with managing incident responses when necessary
· Significant experience with Linux, AWS, automation and configuration management
Why Join Us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.