Zipline's mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. We believe that where you live should never dictate whether you live. We are at the forefront of a logistics revolution, using autonomous aircraft to deliver just-in-time, life-saving medical supplies at national scale in several countries, and expanding around the world. Are you interested in building a system that 500 million people will depend on with their lives?
About You and the Role
Does quickly developing multiple iterations of test systems ranging from manual low volume all the way through fully automated high volume testing sound like the way you want to spend your time? Have you built high-quality test systems that get deployed over a wide array of locations? Do you love designing tests for cross-functional interfaces with little information, full ownership, and the responsibility to make it happen? At Zipline our work is intended for the field. Patients are counting on it today--there is no time for aiming low or for coming up short. If leveraging your talent to drive complex test systems to fruition with a small but dedicated team at your side sounds like your cup of tea, please read on. Zipline is at the forefront of a logistics revolution. We design, manufacture, and operate our own fleet of autonomous drones to make deliveries of vital medical supplies to people in need within minutes, 7 days a week. Today, we fly the equivalent of twice around the equator every week. In a few months, we'll be doing that once a day, and by the end of 2021, once every hour. Zipline was founded by engineers dedicated to making the world a better place. We are scaling around the world and are looking for a talented Engineer to join our team who is excited to drive simple, elegant solutions to complex problems that will help save lives every day
What You'll Do
As a member of the mechanical engineering test team you will be responsible for cradle to grave design and implementation of systems used to validate function and key reliability metrics on both current and future generations of the Zipline system. To accomplish this you will need to do the following:
- Work with the product design and manufacturing team to generate requirements for test systems that accurately capture the intended function of the vehicle.
- Design automated production-ready test fixtures that perform complex functions but are easy and intuitive to operate.
- Deploy fixtures in-house and to our suppliers across the world and coordinate with production lines to ensure repeatable and reliable results.
- Develop a deep understanding of a wide array of devices under test ranging from large mechatronics components for our ground systems to battery cells in our vehicle.
- Be ready to pivot often as we navigate uncertain regulatory space and learn more about what it will take to really wow our customers.
What You'll Bring
- Design for user experience of mechanical test systems. You can develop a machine that accomplishes complex interactions reliably and repeatability in production lines across the world.
- Strong mechanical engineering fundamentals. You understand the theory behind good design decisions and have a proven track record of executing on these designs to make a test system that is more reliable than the product it is testing.
- Cross functional team management experience such that you can balance the needs of structures, aero, embedded, and software engineering teams into one product that works for all.
- Understanding when we can get away with a quick and dirty or scrappy solution and when it is worth our time and money to make investments in the future.
- Ability to ingest a loose set of requirements to build a compelling vision for what a successful test program will look like
- At least 2 years of experience in hardware engineering and/or test engineering
- *Must be authorized to work in the US*
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!