Senior Site Reliability Engineer - COGS at CircleCI
CircleCI seeks a Senior Site Reliability Engineering to optimize the high-performance and scalable infrastructure we run on AWS and GCP in order to improve our gross margin and drive efficiencies in our operations. You will contribute to building a new team within Platform Engineering charged with reducing our cloud spend without constraining the organization’s ability to ship and iterate on customer value.
In this role, you will balance the tradeoffs between agility and cost efficiencies with your knowledge of all factors that affect cloud provider pricing. You will identify and implement efficiency solutions that directly impact the bottom line by working closely with product delivery teams on best practices, reducing waste in spending and reviews of new features with an eye towards cost savings. This is a unique opportunity to work towards objectives with very clear metrics. We have a north star and will have real-time insight to our progress.Initially, your responsibilities will include:
- Monitoring, reporting and remediating abuse of our free tier
- Implementing a data lifecycle for CircleCI user assets
- Delivering tooling to reap orphaned resources
- Identifying and recommending savings opportunities through technology innovation, engaging in reserved capacity purchases or changes to business processes
- Developing billing and usage monitoring, thresholds, and alerting
- Reviewing new CircleCI features to ensure cost efficiency as part of architecture reviews
- Experience with cloud services and virtualization, e.g. AWS, GCP, etc., and demonstrated ability to install, configure and manage virtualized systems
- Understanding of Docker or evolving container management platforms like Kubernetes or Nomad
- Understanding of standard networking protocols and components such as: TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, ICMP, the OSI Model, Subnetting, and Load Balancing
- Proficiency in one or more of: Go, Java, Clojure, Python, C or C++
- Comprehensive knowledge of the internal workings of at least one of: Postgres, Mongo, Redis, RabbitMQ
- Systematic problem solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive
- An understanding of how to build observability into systems to ensure issues can easily be identified and fixed
- 4+ years of experience
- Ability to work transparently on a distributed team
- You value developer productivity and can make appropriate trade offs on cost vs velocity and autonomy
- You care deeply about the experience and satisfaction of users (internal and external)
- You have experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery methodologies and tools
- Systems Engineer and/or DevOps background
- You have a drive to create efficient systems and processes
Submit your application online via the Apply Now button. Please include a cover letter that describes why you're interested in working for CircleCI and summarize how your experience and career goals fit the qualifications for the position. Also, describe a time you had to quickly come up to speed on a new skill or technology, how you did it, and the outcome.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.CircleCI Engineering Competency Matrix
This role equals level E3 on our Engineering Competency Matrix, our internal career growth system for engineers. These are the minimum expectation for this position, but we are always willing to discuss bringing people on at more senior positions when appropriate. Find more about the matrix in this blog post.About CircleCI
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in San Francisco with a global remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by Scale Venture Partners, Threshold Ventures (formerly DFJ), Baseline Ventures, Top Tier Capital, Industry Ventures, Heavybit, Harrison Metal Capital, Owl Rock Capital Partners, and NextEquity Partners.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.