Senior Site Reliability Engineer, Site Operations
Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), filing their taxes with Credit Karma Tax and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in San Francisco, Charlotte, Los Angeles, Leeds, London and soon Oakland.
The Site Operations team owns overall site health for Credit Karma’s suite of products to ensure that members are always able to access our suite of services. We accomplish our mission by acting as a force multiplier for engineers across Credit Karma who own production services and features. We do this by making operational risk visible to the org, leading incident management, and providing tools to facilitate both.
We are looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer with strong operations and software engineering background to help drive overall site reliability to a world-class level. This is a high visibility role at Credit Karma where you will be empowered to drive operational best practices across the Engineering org for production web applications at scale.
In Site Operations, minutes matter. Since we are always striving for the fastest time to repair during member impacting incidents, we are looking for collaborators that enjoy quickly solving technical puzzles. You will be dedicated to ensuring the stability and resiliency of the Credit Karma experience, visited by over 80 million members.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
What you’ll do:
- Partner inside the Platform Engineering org on developing and operating resilient platform services from edge services, to CI/CD, observability
- Partner with Product Engineering teams to improve operational best practices
- Build and maintain tooling for site operations and incident management for the Engineering org
- Incident Management - leading the charge and coordinating investigation for production issues, post-issue follow-up, and ensuring learned improvements are implemented.
- Coordinate with Platform and Product Engineering orgs to develop, deploy, evangelize, and enforce best practice processes
- Be an active leader in Change Advisory Board
- Participate in an incident manager on-call rotation
What we expect:
- 5+ years background in production operations, ideally in a microservices environment
- 5+ years of experience in build tooling (apps, scripts, monitoring, processes, documents) to support production operations
- Quickly solving technical puzzles to reduce mean time to restoration
- Experience using core metrics tools (Splunk, Grafana, New Relic)
- Passion for peeling back the layers of a technology stack and solving reliability issues
- Ability and experience for root causing complex issues in distributed systems at scale
- Strong cross-functional communicator and collaborator that can lead technical triage in ad-hoc situations
What’s great about this opportunity:
- Be a significant contributor to building a strong availability and reliability framework for production operations at Credit Karma
- Opportunity to collaborate not just across Engineering org but also into business and marketing orgs to drive the availability and reliability mission end to end
Equal Employment Opportunity
Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth.
As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated. Credit Karma is also proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Read Full Job Description