Senior Software Engineer, Backend (Ledger) at Affirm
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
The Ledger Engineering team enables rapid financial product innovation by providing an audit-grade ledger platform that ties ambitious company growth to a highly regulated industry's real-world financial controls. We are passionate about building robust, fault-tolerant, highly scalable systems (> 50B row database and growing) that enable us to be on-time and precisely accurate in every financial interaction (tens of millions of transactions per day) we have both with our consumers and institutional finance partners.
Ledger Engineering works with our finance partners to support everything from closing our monthly books to annual audits. We bridge the technical gap between data, strategy, and the thorough level of accounting detail required to operate a publicly-traded company. Outside of accounting, we partner with the Capital Markets team to help open our business to investors who require a similar forensic level of reporting.
What You'll Do
- Work with ledger peers and stakeholders to drive business impact on the ledger platform in support of product, commercial, capital markets, and accounting initiatives.
- Design and build robust, well-instrumented data pipelines that can scale to handle Affirm's future growth and adhere to strict SLAs.
- Partner cross-functionally with product and business teams such as Accounting, Capital Markets, and Treasury to help translate their requirements into engineering strategy.
- Improve our ledger system’s extensibility for global expansion and scalability.
What We Look For
- 5+ years proven experience as a software engineer
- A pragmatic approach to delivering projects on time and safely, through well-scoped, phased deployments.
- Experience building scalable online/offline data-intensive systems.
- Focus on building positive relationships with partners through collaborative problem solving, and translation of requirements into future-facing solutions.
- Detailed execution where validation and accuracy are paramount.
- Passion for learning new technical and business domains.
- Familiarity with Python, Jupyter Notebooks, Spark, SQL, batch processing, previous financial systems experience.
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
[Colorado Candidates] In accordance with Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the grade for this position in Colorado is listed above. You can find the Colorado base pay range and benefits here.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.