As a developer on a Full Stack Web and API team at Udemy, you’ll be responsible for improving and expanding our learner assessments, and how we measure and encourage learner progress. We want to find the best way to measure student learning, to direct students towards appropriate courses and content, and to ensure that students are motivated and excited about the educational paths that they choose.
You’ll be performing experiments with the team and professional educators in all these areas in a dynamic, market-based environment with literally millions of students. Developers at Udemy work in close collaboration with product owners, designers, user researchers, and other development teams at Udemy. Our most important goal is improving lives through learning, whether it’s through obtaining a career-changing IT certification or getting your puppy to come when called.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
- Working on full-stack development in Python, Django, React, and MySQL.
- Developing, testing, documenting, and releasing full-stack, end-to-end features for Udemy's web application that supports over 50 million students worldwide and more than 150,000 courses
- Participating in sprint planning and getting work done in two-week sprints
- Participating in code reviews as well as post-deployment site monitoring
- Contributing to a team culture that values quality, robustness, and scalability while fostering innovationResearching and evaluating new technologies that may improve our processes or code bases
WE’RE EXCITED ABOUT YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVE:
- A passion for education
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- Knowledge of object-oriented design and computer science fundamentals (data structures, algorithms)
- Experience with web application development using modern framework ORMs (e.g. Django, Rails, Symfony, CodeIgniter, etc.)
- Experience with Python Knowledge of modern JS libraries/frameworks (e.g. React, Angular, JQuery, etc.)
- Knowledge of testing methods, including back-end and front-end unit and integration tests.
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience working on enterprise-level websites at a global scale
- Experience with Java, Kotlin, or any modern object-oriented languageExperience in edtech
- Experience with AWS, Docker, Kubernete, or Mesos
- Experience with Linux/Unix
- Passion for board games or trivia
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 35 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News
Udemy Raises 50 Million at a 2 Billion Dollar Valuation from Japanese Publisher Benesse
Paid Paternity Leave Should be the Norm in the U.S.
Breakdown of Most In-Demand Skills for 2020—Finance, Marketing, Sales and Engineering
How Investing in Yourself Today Will Set You Up for Career Success Tomorrow
Feedback Isn’t the Problem, but the Way That We Deliver It Is Broken
Read Full Job Description