Unity’s XR team enables Unity creators to target the latest XR devices. You’ll be responsible for developing and maintaining the XR Companion Apps, MARS, and other XR features alongside a team of hardworking, talented software engineers and designers. To learn more about the Unity XR Companion Apps, we have a blog post which goes into more detail on the MARS Companion App specifically. Or you can check out the forum announcement and try out the app, currently in open beta. You and the team will be responsible for continued development of a standalone product that will be available on major app stores and will help expose new types of users to Unity for the first time. The Unity Companion Apps are a key part of Unity XR workflows for developers and their clients, and the technology you build will serve as the basis for a broad suite of authoring and collaboration applications for spatial computing.
As a senior engineer you will be responsible for writing Unity C# code, collaborating with designers on implementing 2D and spatial UI, and building and testing Unity builds for smartphones and standalone XR devices. You are expected to be familiar with the Unity GUI system (uGUI) and traditional Unity development with GameObjects and MonoBehaviours. Not only are we building the companion apps with Unity, but these are tools for building Unity applications, so a deep understanding of and empathy for our users is crucial.
What you’ll be doing
- Develop and maintain the Unity XR Companion Apps.
- Work with the Unity XR team to design and implement features for XR authoring.
- Learn and maintain understanding of the latest XR technologies and features.
- Work with the entire engineering team to ensure consistency and proper flow between features in Unity MARS, AR Foundation, the Unity editor and the companion apps.
- Learn and help define future-facing Unity features like UI Toolkit and the Runtime Authoring Framework
What we’re looking for
- Unity development experience required.
- Demonstrated interest in XR, either through professional experience or personal projects.
- Experience with Unity GUI, both in Editor and runtime applications
- Familiarity or professional experience in C#, C++, and platform APIs (Android, iOS, Magic Leap, Hololens, etc.).
- Familiarity with developing cloud/connected application development (REST APIs, etc.)
You might also have
- A true passion for, and enjoyment of, spatial computing. The entire team is united in our shared interest for the future of human-computer interaction and how XR can help.
- Mixed reality development, personal or professional, is a significant bonus.
- Speaking experience is useful as we often give talks, both internally and externally.
- Experience with product demos and prototyping is a plus.
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
The company’s 1,800+ person research and development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Apps developed by Unity creators were downloaded more than five billion times per month in 2020. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.