Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
The Compute team builds the runtime platform, frameworks and infrastructure that engineers at Affirm rely on to launch, operate and deliver high quality consumer products and services spanning multiple merchants, b2c ecosystems, partners and vendors across the globe. The team is building powerful new features on top of Kubernetes and AWS that allow Affirm’s engineering teams to define, provision, test, deploy, manage and operate reliable, observable and secure services. Such a platform will enable our teams to adapt to various technical and business challenges - from scaling for customers and merchants, expanding internationally, handling massive traffic surges, serving ML models, fighting fraud and more. The Compute team plays a crucial role in powering Affirm’s growth, by owning one of the most critical pieces in our technical infrastructure and by contributing significantly to our engineering goals around Availability, Observability, Developer Productivity and Cost.
The Compute team is part of Affirm’s Platform & Infrastructure Engineering organization which provides shared infrastructure and frameworks for the Product engineering teams. The organization’s goals are to build and provide software, systems and tools that allow the rest of engineering to produce and deploy software that is scalable, reliable, secure, correct, consistent, instrumented and well tested.
What you’ll do
- Play a critical role in defining and helping to implement our Compute platform taking into account the important principles of Operability, Availability, Resilience (including full region failover)
- Collaborate with other tech-leads, management, and stakeholders across the organization to design and build the roadmap for Affirm’s Compute platform infrastructure.
- Provide mentorship to junior engineers in the team, and drive best practices around design and quality.
- Build features into the system to make it resilient - handling scale (both organic growth and traffic spikes), stability and performance challenges as well as supporting multi-region expansion
- Design a system that allows engineers to operate safely and securely with compliance and security requirements in mind.
- Develop self-service tooling to automate processes that support rapid provisioning to help Affirm engineers spin-up and operate their services with ease.
What we look for
- 10+ years of experience with the design and implementation of distributed systems.
- Experience with designing, implementing and managing cloud-based services, at scale in production.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) or other Cloud vendors is a plus.
- Familiarity with the Kubernetes ecosystem.
- Experience with developing components within Kubernetes (eg: Kubernetes controllers) is a plus.
- An eye for designing easy-to-use, customer-focused systems that other engineers will use to manage their compute infrastructure
- You prefer using, enhancing and contributing to open source solutions over building solutions from the ground up.
- Eager to learn new things and have a growth mindset.
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.