Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About Planet Developer Relations:
At Planet, the Developer Relations team focuses on engaging and empowering developers. Our job is to enable technical users (including programmers, data scientists, and others) to do amazing things using Planet’s APIs and imagery. As a team we collectively strive to better understand our developer community so that we can equip them for success by building the tools and resources they need.
About the Role:
The Developer Relations team at Planet is seeking an experienced Software Engineer to help make Planet’s platform & data visible, accessible, and actionable.
As a member of Planet’s Dev Rel team you’ll have the opportunity to apply your skills in a variety of ways. On any given day you may work on a Planet SDK, develop code examples or demo apps, contribute to open source developer tools and libraries, create code-focused tutorials, or write a blog post.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Develop high-quality code examples, technical guides and code-focused tutorials
- Deploy an interactive cloud-based development environment using Jupyter
- Contribute to Planet’s growing SDK ecosystem, starting with our SDK for Python
- Enable usage of Planet’s Platform & APIs by developing a deep understanding of developer workflows, use-cases, and experience
What You Bring:
- Demonstrated experience writing Python and using the Scientific Python stack (scipy, numpy, matplotlib)
- Experience building user-facing APIs (in Python, Go, or similar languages)
- Familiarity with tools used by Planet’s Dev Rel team, including: git, Docker, GitHub & GitLab, and Swagger/OpenAPI specs
- Empathy for technical audiences: a willingness to engage with our users to better understand challenges they face
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and a desire to share your technical knowledge with others
- The ability to work well in a remote environment: you understand the importance of proactive communication and believe “explicit is better than implicit”
What Makes You Stand Out:
- You’ve worked with geospatial data before, even tangentially
- You have some understanding of remote sensing or earth observation topics
- You’ve contributed to an open source project (non-code contributions count!)
- You have some experience sharing your technical skills with a public audience: speaking at conferences or meetups, creating written tutorials or guides, or teaching classes or workshops
- The idea of accessing an archive of daily global imagery really excites you
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Compensation (For Colorado Applicants Only):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $93,600 - $156,600. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.#LI-REMOTE#LI-CL1