Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Pipeline Infrastructure team at Planet is seeking a new Software Engineer to help evolve our internal imagery processing and storage pipeline. This team focuses on serving the internal needs of our imagery and remote sensing experts. Engineers on this team are responsible for building systems that enable those stakeholders to access and transform the data that they need. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, creative, and has at least some experience building large scale backend systems.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Enablement of efficient and rapid access to our variety of new and growing data sets
- Evolve supporting services for internal customer-facing data search and image processing functionality
- Managing the underlying Elasticsearch indexing for our core data sets.
- Full service ownership by measuring performance, creating alerts, being on call, and responding to incidents and performance anomalies.
What You Bring:
- Experience building customer-facing APIs in languages such as Go and Python using tools like git
- Familiarity monitoring and operating highly scalable cloud native software.
- Experience with SQL datastores (PostgreSQL or MySQL) and NoSQL datastores (e.g. BigTable, Elasticsearch etc.) and an understanding of when to use each.
- A track record of successfully building, releasing, and supporting highly available, consistently performant services
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to work well in a remote setting
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience maintaining infrastructure with Kubernetes, Terraform, and Ansible
- Experience building services that leverage cloud-based infrastructure and tooling such as AWS or GCP
- You’ve worked with geospatial data before, even tangentially
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Compensation (For Colorado Applicants Only):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $116,100 - $187,200. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.#LI-REMOTE#LI-CL1