Software Engineer, Platform Services at Handshake
Handshake is the number one site for college students to find a job. Today, the Handshake community includes 17 million students and young alumni at over 1,000 colleges and universities — including 120+ minority-serving institutions. We connect up-and-coming talent across all 50 states with nearly 500,000 employers recruiting on Handshake — from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of small businesses, nonprofits, startups, and more. Handshake is democratizing opportunity and ensuring college students have the support they need to find a great job and kick-off a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they choose as a major, and who they know.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.What does a Software Engineer, Platform Services, do at Handshake?
Handshake is building a diverse team of dynamic engineers who value creating a high quality, high impact product. We are looking for a Software Engineer with strong backend engineering and Ops experience. You'll be working with the Platform Services team to build core web services and collaborate cross-functionally to build a productive, reliable platform for product engineering.Here are some projects we're excited for you to work on at Handshake:
- Helping to evolve our overall application architecture, applying concepts from domain-driven design and other architectural patterns to build a scalable architectural foundation for product teams.
- Designing, developing, and deploying performant APIs that provide core services to product engineering teams.
- Refactoring systems, services, and tools to better handle increases in volume and scale.
- You prefer taking projects from inception to completion and are outcome oriented.
- You act with empathy when partnering with fellow engineers and coworkers.
- You have 3+ years experience in building web applications in a dynamic development environment.
- You are familiar with and passionate about software architecture patterns, such as Domain-Driven Design, Clean Code/Architecture, etc.
- You have experience working in distributed, performant, at-scale backend systems.
- You are strong in backend engineering, but have passion and knowledge in automation and Ops.
- You appreciate good documentation and procedures.
- You are proud of your craft, and enjoy and value clean code that scales to keep large teams productive.
- Kubernetes, Terraform, GCP, AWS
- PostgreSQL, Redis, Pub/Sub, Elasticsearch
- Ruby on Rails, Golang
$99,095 - $135,000Benefits:
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.