Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Users and Access team at Planet is seeking a new Software Engineer to build our access control systems. Your mission will be to write, test, and maintain software responsible for the authentication and authorization subsystems at Planet. The ideal candidate has experience with Golang and Python and is interested in understanding and capturing Planet business practices in software systems.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Build services in Golang and Python to handle authentication and authorization for Planet’s customer platform.
- Help design the next generation of services to shape how Planet does business
- Write well documented, tested, scalable and maintainable code for production services
- Own operation of services by measuring performance, creating alerts, runbooks, and responding to incidents and performance anomalies during on-call rotations
What You Bring:
- Experience building customer facing APIs in languages such as Go and Python using tools like git
- Familiarity monitoring and operating highly scalable cloud native software
- Experience building systems that use cloud based infrastructure such as AWS or GCP
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to work well in a remote setting
What Makes You Stand Out:
- You’ve worked with geospatial data before, even tangentially
- Familiarity or experience with OAuth2 flows
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive health plan
- Wellness and mental health programs
- Flexible time off
- Recognition programs
- Commuter benefits
- Learning and tuition reimbursement
- Parental leave for all types of parents
- Offsites and happy hours (virtual for now)
- Volunteering benefits via 1% Pledge
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-REMOTE#LI-CL1