Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and life-saving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people!THE ROLE
Zipline has a vision for equitable access to health care that starts with radical new drone delivery technologies. Embedded systems lie at the heart of each autonomous aircraft Zipline produces. As an embedded systems lead you will be responsible for delivering the embedded software for new unmanned aerial systems. To achieve this you will:
- Motivate your team with a clear vision and create ambitious and credible plans for your team’s work
- Build your team by mentoring engineers and hiring highly competent engineers
- Hold a high bar for technical quality through code review and process, creating a maintainable code base over time
- Write reliable embedded software in C++ and/or Rust, targeting Embedded Linux
- Support the design of electromechanical systems through component selection, design trades, and experiments
We rely on every Zipliner to be a leader, regardless of their role or tenure, but we have very high expectations for those with management responsibilities. Our leaders are here to serve those around them, and make more leaders--not followers. They listen carefully and do whatever it takes to help those around them be extraordinary. They often do this at the cost of their own ego and prestige.SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL NEED TO SUCCEED
People and Team
- Past success leading engineering teams. We are open to candidates with a broad range of experience from tech lead to director.
- Experience building a team - finding and convincing top talent to contribute to your work.
- The ability to turn complex goals and competing priorities into a clear plan of action.
- The ability to relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area, or travel on a monthly basis to spend time with your team in person
- Strong skills in embedded software. In particular, experience with C++ or Rust on Embedded Linux.
- The ability to write highly reliable software: real-time, safety-critical, autonomous systems deployed at massive scale.
- The bravery required to dive deep into tricky problems and find simple solutions which stand the test of time, whether they involve the schematic or the code
Nice to have:
- Experience with perception and/or robotics
- Experience working with microprocessors and RTOS
- Experience deploying and managing IoT products
- Experience with motor control or battery state estimation.
- Experience or interest in the Rust programming language
The ideal candidate may not have all of the skills and experience listed above. If any of these apply, you might be a good fit!WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!