Software Engineering Manager, XR Input at Unity
Unity’s XR team enables Unity creators to target the latest XR devices. This means that we work with a variety of hardware platforms, internal teams, and Unity users to support a wide variety of input devices. As XR input lead, you will work closely with the team who maintains the Unity Input System as well as the rest of the XR team and our hardware partners to ensure that Unity users have a simple, reliable solution for user input which works on smartphones, standalone HMDs, consoles, PC’s, and any other device that runs Unity. The code you write will be used by thousands of real time 3D applications, and you will help craft industry standards like OpenXR.
As an engineering lead you will be responsible for gathering requirements and collaborating with stakeholders and industry partners, as well as writing C++ and C# code for XR platform integrations and the Unity Input System. You should be familiar with the Unity Input System, and have a deep understanding of low-level input programming, HID, OpenXR and/or other XR APIs. You will be expected to understand complex systems and distill them into accessible APIs and workflows for Unity users. In joining the team, you’ll be helping to move the entire industry forward towards real ubiquitous spatial computing!
What you’ll be doing
- Work with the Unity XR team to support development of XR features.
- Learn and maintain understanding of the latest XR technologies and features.
- Gather and communicate requirements for XR input internally and externally.
- Implement platform integrations and XR input features in Unity Input System.
What we’re looking for
- Deep understanding of low-level input programming.
- Proven interest in XR, either through professional experience or personal projects.
- Experience with Unity Input System.
- Familiarity or professional experience in C#, C++, and platform APIs (Android, iOS, Magic Leap, Hololens, etc.).
- Experience shipping and maintaining real products.
You might also have
- A true passion for, and enjoyment of, spatial computing. The entire team is united in our shared interest for the future of human-computer interaction and how XR can help.
- Mixed reality development, personal or professional, is a significant bonus.
- Speaking experience is useful as we often give talks, both internally and externally.
- Although the role requires specialization on input, general experience using Unity and other RT3D tools helps build appreciation for our users.
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
The company’s 1,800+ person research and development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Apps developed by Unity creators were downloaded more than five billion times per month in 2020. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.