Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Here at Planet Labs, we launch spacecraft early and often. From Technology Demonstrations to operational constellations, we're designing, manufacturing and launching record-breaking numbers of spacecraft. Exceptional engineers are needed for the design, simulation, and implementation of Space radiation and reliability solutions for satellites. We leverage the latest technologies and develop our own, while rapidly iterating our spacecraft design. At Planet Labs, you will work with a small team of dedicated engineers responsible for the design of several platforms.
You will be responsible for generating spacecraft qualification test plans, designing test equipment & fixturing, developing & establishing data acquisition systems, and supporting the testing and delivery of flight hardware
Impact You’ll Own:
- Develop, coordinate, and lead the execution of environmental test campaigns
- Design test fixtures and equipment to support vibration, shock, and thermal vacuum testing
- Root cause analysis of test failures and anomalies
- Support in the correlation of test results with the finite element or analytical models.
- Design equipment and infrastructure for the transportation of spacecraft and subsystems
- Develop processes & tools for ensuring spacecraft meet design specifications and launch provider requirements
- Design the tools & equipment required to support spacecraft launch integration
What You Bring:
- BS degree in Engineering plus 1 year relevant work experience
- Proficiency in using Solidworks CAD & FEA (simulation) or equivalent
- Experience working with & developing data acquisition systems, ideally with the Raspberry Pi and node red platform
- Solid understanding of standard spacecraft subsystems and general design
- Experience working with Python preferred
- Ability to document test results and create test reports
- Experience working with test equipment such as power supplies, multimeters, oscilloscopes
- Data analysis skills for evaluating system performance and identifying anomalies
- Able to juggle multiple tasks and make quality decisions without negative impact on others
- Work well with a cross-functional teams to achieve desired results
- Resolves routine issues and escalates other issues to the appropriate individual in a timely manner.
- Understanding test processes including defining test strategies, test plans and test procedures. Following through on those test plans to execution and fault resolution
- Demonstrated hands-on experience
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.