Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Mechanical and Thermal team at Planet is seeking a new Thermal Engineer to ensure our satellites perform well because their components are at the right temperature. You’ll own this aspect of the design from “clean sheet” through fabrication and flight to decommissioning. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, creative thinker, and a great communicator who can do as much of the job independently as possible.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Keep all components of our spacecraft within their operating temperature range
- Keep optical payloads in focus
- Oversee quality of our space hardware as it’s being built
- Develop sub-contracts for thermal hardware
- Prove your designs work through testing you devise
What You Bring:
- Firm understanding of heat transfer, particularly in spacecraft
- Knowledge of thermal control technology for spacecraft
- Experience testing thermal performance of hardware
- Experience in Thermal Desktop/SINDA for spacecraft-level analysis or similar tools for chip-level analysis
- Skills for making your designs real (Working with outside vendors counts!)
- Experience communicating with engineers to get the job done, communicating with managers and program leadership, and documenting your work
- Strong ability to drive project independently, and to work and cooperate in a team
What Makes You Stand Out:
- STOP analysis and/or test experience
- Experience with cryogenics, particularly in spacecraft
- The more experience with CAD, the better
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- This should be localized based on US, Germany, International, Remote
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-MI1