Staff Software Engineer (AppSec) at Credit Karma
!Sorry, this job was removed at 3:01 a.m. (PST) on Wednesday, January 29, 2020
Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), filing their taxes with Credit Karma Tax and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in San Francisco, Charlotte, Los Angeles, Leeds, London and soon Oakland.
The Staff Software Engineer (AppSec) role has the critical responsibility of developing security toolchains for verifying secure architecture patterns, automated code review, testing capabilities, and security automation for CK’s security and engineering teams.
What's great about it:
- You will earn and maintain the trust of our users by demonstrating our commitment to safeguarding their information
- You will have lots of opportunity to break new ground, discover and solve brand new challenges, and make key decisions impacting a large organization
- And, of course, you get all those awesome company perks that you probably already read about
What the job entails:
- Develop code solutions to our application security challenges: current projects include the development of custom code investigation tools to identify CK specific vulnerabilities, both accepted and not accepted architectural patterns, and repository health scores
- Leading engineering projects by developing designs, socialization with partners in engineering, and organizing engineering tasks into sprints to reliably deliver milestones
- Passionately contributing to mentoring through code reviews, design discussions, pair programming, working group participation, and agile engagement
- Evaluate the key frameworks (and their ecosystems) that form the core platform for Credit Karma Engineering, looking for areas where framework improvements could eliminate the potential for vulnerabilities to be introduced
- Envision, design and implement core features for our internal sidecar to bake security into every deployed microservice.
- Expertise in Scala and/or Typescript, with at least one interpreted language for fast prototyping
- Write code that is performant, maintainable, clear, and concise
Our ideal candidate:
- B.S., M.S., or PhD in Computer Science or a related technical major or significant job experience.
- Minimum 8 years experience in an engineering capacity. Security experience desired.
- Strong algorithms and data structures background.
- Experience with software engineering patterns and best practices (e.g. SOLID, hexagonal architecture, domain driven design, test driven development, design documentation, code reviews).
- Technical depth in many, if not most of the following areas: web infrastructure, microservices architectures, distributed systems, performance analysis, enterprise messaging systems, and/or large scale data processing
- Development experience on the JVM, including asynchronous I/O, concurrency, and the Java memory model.
- A history of open-source contribution and a passion for development of elegant, well-designed frameworks.
- Hands on experience with GCP and its services.
Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye single to fostering an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated
Credit Karma is also proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and will also consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local law. Our people are everything, our core values are real, and our guiding mission is strong. Join us!
Read Full Job Description