Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Platform engineers are the backbone of the Engineering team. The team is responsible for building systems and services that allow the rest of engineering to produce and deploy software that is scalable, reliable, secure, correct, consistent, and well tested. Scaling a complex system shared across multiple merchants, vendors and products is hard. Our consistency and security requirements make scaling harder. Challenges like this fascinate us and the Platform engineering team works with all of our Engineering teams to find simple, consistent, clean and scalable solutions that work across the entire engineering organization.
What you'll do
- Design and build systems, services and tools to handle new Affirm products and business requirements that securely scale over millions of users and their transactions.
- Design frameworks and services which will be used by other engineering teams at Affirm to manage billions of dollars in loans and power customer experiences
- Build and scale our fast growing online services and offline data pipelines
- Build systems which help us in efficient underwriting and fighting fraud.
- Work with product managers, tech leads and other engineers to build Affirm products.
- Collaborate with other teams on security, reliability and automation.
What we look for
- Experience building and owning large-scale, geographically distributed backend systems.
- Skilled at developing and debugging in one or more programming languages.
- Python development experience is a plus.
- Experience with AWS and/or other cloud providers is a plus.
- You prefer using, enhancing and chipping in to OpenSource solutions than building solutions from ground up.
- Experience with (or want to learn about) operating system internals, filesystems, databases, network, concurrency frameworks.
- Eager to learn new things
- You obsess about keeping costs low while building your products.
- Familiarity with Linux.
- Computer Science Degree with industry experience is required.
Join us as we build a beloved, lasting financial services company predicated on honesty and trust. In this role, you’ll understand the exciting challenges of helping a fast-growing company move towards a service-oriented architecture - diving into the scaling and availability challenges of infrastructural components that are the fundamental building blocks of a large scale system. You’ll hone your ability to anticipate and recognize how to apply different technologies to solve a wide array of real world problems across the organization - all while building teams and working cross functionally with talented peers.