Staff Software Engineer - iOS Foundations & Performance at Discord
Our iOS app is a balance of Objective-C and Swift (brackets be gone!) and React Native. We believe in picking the best tool for the job, where performance is critical, we use native code. (For example, our main messaging UI is written entirely in native code). We use React Native to speed up our development by sharing code with our web app and empowering web engineers to build their projects on all platforms- freeing our specialists to focus on hard problems. You Will:
- Lead our ongoing work on our iOS app (React Native, Objective-C, and Swift) as the iOS expert for Discord.
- Architect elegant and maintable code. You will be autonomous and will help guide other teams.
- Continue our quest to have a highly performant iOS app. You'll lead the way!
- Guide and improve the technical direction of mobile, bolstering the technical foundation, improving performance, and re-architecting.
- Lead experimental technical projects to solve pain points for other engineers and our users.
- Experience with React Native, TypeScript, Objective-C, or Swift. Ideally, you've got experience with all of these technologies, but what you don't know, we can teach you!
- Experience developing and shipping real-world iPhone and/or iPad applications (or personal side projects that contribute to the iOS community with a shown passion for engineering and product sense).
- Strong product sense and pursuit for good user experience.
- Experience setting the technical roadmap for a team.
- Shipped products across multiple platforms (web, iOS, and Android).
- A history of open-source contributions to community libraries and tools.
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 18 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.