Staff Software Engineer, Online Storage at Affirm
At Affirm, our mission is to deliver honest financial products that improve lives. We give consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
Affirm's platform team is building a large-scale, fault-tolerant, and global infrastructure used by multiple financial products. Ensuring that our infrastructure maintains high uptime and meets the needs of our partners across engineering is critical to the success of the business. We value collaboration and accountability when we build our systems-- for example, by gathering incident learnings through blameless postmortems and writing detailed tech specs and roadmaps.
The Online Storage team provides a set of managed databases as a platform, used to persist data for all Affirm services. Our platform automates operations and development of relational and key-value storage systems like AWS Aurora (MySQL), DynamoDB and S3. As a team, we build for various data and access patterns, including but not limited to mission-critical financial transactional data, data science models, and any new persistence use case requiring us to learn and gain deep expertise in various database systems and scaling requirements.
What you'll do
- Design and build an infrastructure platform that provides critical support for operating database systems at scale.
- Address challenges such as multi-region, active resharding, and internationalization.
- Perform load testing and resiliency testing for our platform in collaboration with SRE.
- Collaborate with product engineers on their database needs and provide continuous guidance on design and architecture.
- Participate in an on-call rotation and work with other teams to resolve production issues.
You will also have the opportunity to learn leading open source technologies (e.g. Kubernetes and Vitess).
What we look for
You are a self-motivated, pragmatic, and curious engineer who wants to work with stateful distributed systems at scale.
- Ability to empathize with your customers and understand their needs.
- Experience and a desire to help your team learn and grow.
- Experience with owning highly available, fault-tolerant, multi-region online backend systems.
- Hands on coding and debugging experience using modern software delivery methods to develop services using Python, Go, or JVM-based languages (e.g. Java, Kotlin, and Scala).
- Experience with Amazon Web Services and/or other cloud providers.
- You evaluate and incorporate business needs into your technical solutions.
- You value using, enhancing, and contributing to Open Source solutions.
- At least one of:
- Experience working in database, SRE or infrastructure teams, or have operated a distributed data storage system such as MySQL, Kafka, Cassandra.
- Experience with service-oriented architectures. We use technologies such as Kubernetes, Docker, gRPC, Envoy, Istio, Celery/RabbitMQ, and NGINX, but we are always looking for new technologies to adopt.
If you got to this point, we hope you're excited about the job description you just read! Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways - not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, "People Come First" is a core value and that's why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2019 D&I report.
We also believe "It's On Us" to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
Location - Remote U.S.
Grade - USA31
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company ! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
[Colorado Candidates] In accordance with Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act , the grade for this position in Colorado is listed above. You can find the Colorado base pay range and benefits here .
If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role. Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people who believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways-not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that's why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2021 DEI Report .
We also believe It's On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.