Staff Software Engineer
Credit Karma's mission is to make financial progress possible for everyone. We have over 100+ million US members and are a truly passionate to our mission and business, a rare case where our incentives are aligned with our users - we succeed by helping our members.
Our work directly impacts the lives of our users and the success of our business. As an engineer on our team, you will face some of the most difficult challenges in modern software engineering. The scale at which your systems must operate will require not only producing and using highly-performant algorithms and data structures, but also solving complex problems involving distributed systems and emergent behavior of service-oriented architecture.
You will have the opportunity to work on and build highly-scaled distributed systems. Our infrastructure receives millions of requests per day, all with an uptime in excess of 99.9%. You and your fellow engineers will power the core of a system relied on everyday by millions of people.
What the job entails
- Build and maintain high-performance, fault-tolerant, scalable distributed software systems in the context of Credit Karma’s service-oriented architecture.
- Write code that is performant, maintainable, clear, and concise.
- Improve the reliability and efficiency of Credit Karma’s core systems.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot complex distributed problems and develop solutions that have a significant impact at our massive scale.
- Work cross-functionally with various engineering teams.
Our Ideal Candidate
- 8+ years in the industry as a technical contributor.
- Strong algorithms and data structures background.
- Expertise in Scala, Java, Clojure, and/or any functional language. We code primarily in Scala and PHP, so you’ll be excited to either ramp up on those languages or continue building awesome things with them.
- Experience with software engineering patterns and best practices (e.g. SOLID, hexagonal architecture, domain driven design, test driven development, design documentation, code reviews).
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, or equivalent work experience
- Experience with web infrastructure, distributed systems, performance analysis, and/or large-scale data processing.
- Development experience on the JVM, including asynchronous I/O, concurrency, and the Java memory model.
- A history of open-source contribution and a passion for development of elegant, well-designed frameworks.
Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye single to fostering an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated.
Credit Karma is also proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and will also consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local law.
Our people are everything, our core values are real, and our guiding mission is strong. Join us!
Learn more about Credit Karma at creditkarma.com/careers
Read Full Job Description