Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
We are currently seeking a Systems Engineer to drive design trades, system modeling efforts, and mission design analysis for future satellite constellations. In this role, you will be instrumental in developing, validating, and verifying requirements, interface control documents, and system test plans. You will also help plan operations and on-orbit validation goals. You will use the wealth of on-orbit data from Planet’s history to improve the reliability, robustness, and throughput of our operational fleet. An ideal candidate would be familiar with both mission systems engineering and satellite hardware, be able to conceptualize and construct system models, and be an excellent communicator of technical information.
What You Bring:
- BSc in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or similar
- 3+ years of relevant engineering experience.
- Strong fundamental understanding of aerospace and embedded systems.
- Experience in system modeling and systems analysis.
- Experience in electrical engineering, software development and/or programming knowledge.
- Hands-on can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to effectively lead and manage the collaboration across many technical teams.
- Ability to work independently in a dynamic and fast-pacing environment.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- MSc in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or similar.
- Experience working in satellite systems engineering, including design, integration, testing and/or on-orbit operations.
- Work experience in avionics and/or flight software.
- Knowledge of industry standards for electrical and/or software quality practices.
- Solid understanding of the product development lifecycle process, including analysis and design, development tools and technologies, release and version control, contemporary testing methodologies and deployment management.
- Programming experience in Python and/or C.
- Passion for Aerospace.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.#LI-MI1