TIP: Sr. Lead Cloud Services DevOps Engineer at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
This position is through Upwork’s Talent Innovation Program (TIP). Our TIP team is a global group of professionals that augment Upwork’s business. Our TIP team members are located all over the world.
The Operations Engineering team at Upwork is looking for a Senior DevOps/Cloud Architect engineer with a talent to help develop, build, and support highly scalable public cloud platform services. The engineer needs to be a self-starter and self-motivated person.
The successful candidate will be hardworking, bold and possess exceptional leadership skills. She/he will have engineered, delivered and led cloud-centric infrastructure and platforms and developed the intimate knowledge vital to drive automation and end-to-end orchestration.
- Architect and implement Upwork’s codified cloud infrastructure, working with technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, Chef, HAProxy, Consul, and Terraform
- Lead Cost Governance of cloud through policies, data analytics, and standard methodologies
- Lead enterprise-wide standardization efforts around compute infrastructure, security, CI-CD tools, and Observability platforms.
- Lead projects to develop and maintain cloud infrastructure using infrastructure as code philosophy.
- Lead efforts to implement new technologies and standard methodologies
- Collaborate with the InfoSec, Security teams to integrate security measures into all aspects of the platform.
- Mentor other team members to define and embrace new or improve existing operational processes and procedures.
- Work with technical project managers, product managers, and operations managers to set priorities and supervise operational metrics
Must Haves (Required Skills):
- Has 8+ years experience as a DevOps Engineer
- Has strong hands-on experience in cloud technologies. AWS, ECS, and Kubernetes preferred
- Has detailed understanding of all aspects of software development life cycle and quality control practices
- Demonstrated understanding of overall infrastructure design and developing tools to enable and automate the infrastructure
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly with both technical and non-technical project partners
- Solid understanding of Linux systems and internals (Ubuntu/Alpine preferred)
- Experience in network, server, and application-status monitoring
- Experience in designing, developing, testing, and deploying applications
- Working knowledge of high-level scripting languages such as Ruby or Python
- Working knowledge in image build tooling such as Helm, Packer
- Able to work with an overlap of 4-5 hours during Pacific Standard Timezone
Upwork is proudly committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce. We never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.