Wing is reshaping the future of delivery. We are an on-demand drone delivery service that can deliver food, medicine or other items within minutes. We’ve also developed an unmanned traffic management platform to safely route drones through the sky. Our service is faster, safer and produces far less pollution than traditional delivery. Originally created in 2012 within X, the Moonshot Factory, Wing is now an Alphabet company.
About the Role:
Wing is looking for a Backend Software Engineer to join our Technical Infrastructure team, based in Palo Alto, California, or in Sydney, Australia. You will be working on UAS Traffic Management (UTM) systems – automated air traffic control for drones, which will power the next generation of autonomous drones, and bring safety to the skies.
We are looking for an C++/Python software engineer who communicates well with a team, is passionate about building scalable, well-engineered systems and who will work with our internal teams, industry and regulatory partners to deliver components of a multi-participant traffic management system.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop systems for regulatory partners that help them safely manage the skies – managing airspace for UAVs, notifying pilots of changing and upcoming conditions, and expanding drone access near airports
- Build a platform for open sharing of regulatory airspace information across the UAS Traffic Management industry
- Collaborate with industry partners to develop open, federated UAS Traffic Management systems such as InterUSS, that maintain safety in the skies while respecting the privacy of drone pilots and customers of drone services
- Develop safe, scalable systems that integrate customer-facing UAS Traffic Management systems with our industry and regulatory partners
- Give feedback to standards bodies as we work on early-stage UTM integrations across the industry
What You'll Need:
- 4-year degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related degree, or equivalent work experience
- Experience leading a project team to successful delivery
- Experience with developing backend serving systems in C++
- A passion for the aviation domain, and interest in geospatial data or airspace planning
- Demonstrated experience in building safe, secure systems
- Ability to collaborate with multiple teams to deliver to clients on an accelerated schedule