Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Accounting team at Planet is seeking an AP Accountant. This role requires excellent organization and communication skills. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, pays strong attention to detail, and embraces challenges as opportunities for success as the company expands and grows. In this role, you will be responsible for accounts payable operations, employee credit card and expense report reimbursement, as well as managing AP function related month-end close activities.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Responsible for full cycle of accounts payable process from vendor approval to payment
- Own vendor communications
- Ensure consistent and proper GL coding of invoices are supported with proper documentation and approval
- Review invoice status and follow up on overdue invoices and resolve invoice discrepancies in a timely manner
- Prepare year-end 1099 reporting
- Prepare and file CA use tax and SF environment tax
- Manage employee expense and credit card reporting administration
- Audit employee expense reports and credit card reports in accordance with Planet’s T&E policy for reimbursements
- Maintain approval workflow and employee records in Concur
- Manage the delegation of corporate card transactions for terminated employees
- Manage month-end close activities
- Review POs to ensure GL coding consistency, and timely payment processing of open POs
- Assist with period closing activities related to AP functions, including booking accruals, and reconciling AP related GL accounts, such as accounts payable, accrual, prepaid, and fixed assets
- Support ad hoc projects as needed
- Assist with compiling and preparing support required for annual audits
- Recommend changes and assist in driving improvements on accounting processes, documentation, procedures and automation
What You Bring:
- A high degree of ownership over projects and results
- Ability to meet deadlines, and follow through on tasks
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy and data integrity; excellent reconciliation skills
- Team-oriented mindset and a desire to continuously learn and improve
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or other quantitative major
- 2 - 3 years of accounting experience, with 1 - 2 years focused on accounts payable
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Positive, get-it-done attitude and agile approach to problem solving
- Experience with Netsuite or equivalent ERP system
- Knowledge of employee expense reimbursement systems
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.