Assistant Controller at Gusto
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Want to help uplevel an already-incredible accounting org at a Forbes Cloud 100 company? Come join the Accounting team at Gusto! In this newly-created role, you’ll work cross-functionally to build and strengthen relationships and processes across the entirety of Gusto. Better yet: you’ll be doing it in a company that truly understands your role as an accountant - so many of our customers are accountants!
What you’ll do:
- Drive the financial statement audit, including the introduction of interim testing and IT audit cadences
- Own financial statement reporting & month-end close, helping to drive efficiency and accuracy in an already-tight process
- Liaise with external technical accounting and tax teams to drive reporting and policy-based projects/documentation
- Act as primary point of contact with Corporate Finance team to ensure seamless and accurate reporting and reconciliation
- Collaborate with our Manager of Financial Systems & Programs to construct a world-class control environment
- Hire, train and develop a growing domestic accounting team
- Advise on org-wide operational maturity initiatives
What you’ll have done:
- Managed a corporate accounting team in both private and public organizations; transition from private to public (IPO) strongly preferred
- Spent 5+ years in public accounting, ideally as a Big4 Manager/Senior Manager
- Participated in the comprehensive documentation of an accounting department’s processes, including advising cross-functional teams on their own documentation for financial processes
- CPA (or related relevant) certification required
- Exposure to a SOX environment and implementation process a plus
- Planned for and hired a corporate accounting team while maintaining strong group culture
- Experience in technical/policy accounting & SEC reporting a plus, but not required
- Experience in FinTech a nice-to-have
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.