Director, Accounting at Fastly
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development.
Fastly’s customers use our edge cloud platform to ensure concertgoers can buy tickets to the live events they love, travelers can book flights seamlessly and embark on their next great adventure, and sports fans can stream events in real time, across devices. They include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Spotify, Alaska Airlines, Hulu, The New York Times, and Ticketmaster.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Reporting to the Corporate Controller, the Director of Accounting must have a talent for fostering a team and will help build a world class accounting operation that supports Fastly’s rapid growth. A successful candidate will have a strong desire to exceed expectations and have a flexible, can-do attitude.
What You'll Do
- Ensure a timely and accurate global financial close on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Responsible for ensuring local statutory filings are timely
- Lead Accounting team and provide mentoring and development
- Actively identifying and implementing process and system enhancements with the goal to decrease closing days while also improving team efficiency and scalability
- Overall responsibility of the general ledger including review of journal entries and monthly reconciliations
- Oversee monthly variance analysis
- Oversight of the Accounts Payable function including management and mentoring of the AP Manager
- Assisting in the design, review and documentation of processes to ensure internal control environment is adequate and progressing towards full SOX compliance
- Manage relationships with external auditors to ensure timely completion of quarterly reviews and annual audits
- Managing other projects as needed (e.g. system implementations / upgrades)
- Assist with ad-hoc financial information requests from Executive Management and other departments
What We're Looking For
- BS Accounting or related degree
- CPA required
- 10+ years of experience with at least 6 years as an Accounting Manager
- Big 4 Audit Experience
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP
- Multicurrency experience, Inter-company transactions and consolidations experience
- Ability to lead a team in a dynamic environment, managing multiple and ever changing priorities while consistently meeting deadlines
- Experience in both growth-stage and large public companies required
- Proven track record in making improvements in all areas of accounting practices & policies
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to conduct accounting research and document findings
- Extensive experience working in ERP systems (preferably NetSuite)
- Candidate must be hands-on, have a strong work ethic, excel in a fast-paced environment, and be adaptable to changing responsibilities and priorities
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.