Director of Payments Risk at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
The Trust and Safety team is charged with making Upwork the most trusted marketplace to get work done. We are looking for a high performing professional to manage our Payments Risk P&L, and Marketplace and Account Abuse teams. This leader will be responsible for managing operations loss caused by fraud, account takeovers, and non-payment. This role will also manage our Marketplace and Abuse Team to prevent spam/scam, phishing/malware, and account security attacks on our customers. Cross-functional partners include other Trust and Safety teams, Analytics, Operations, Product, Engineering, Data Science, Marketing, and Customer Support.Your Responsibilities:
- Strategy Development: Evaluate, identify, and execute on policies and processes that improve our ability to manage payments risk
- Risk Management: Identify and stop fraudulent payments, handle credit and underwriting risk
- Spam and Account Abuse prevention: Identify and stop all forms of marketplace and account abuse
- Operational Excellence: Identify root causes, and create accurate and efficient processes to catch fraud while minimizing false positives
- Cross-Functional Team Empowerment: Inspire, motivate, and lead a cross-functional team to prevent fraud on the site
- Leading and growing a high performance operations team to scale programs that improve good experiences and decrease bad experiences
- At least 10 years of work experience in analytics, data science, risk, credit, trust, fraud, and/or policy roles
- At least five years of people management experience growing the careers of your team members
- Clearly and effectively communicating using your attention to detail and extraordinary analytical skills
- Passion for Upwork and a strong motivation to solve challenging risk problems to protect our customers and our company’s revenue
- Ability to handle multiple projects at the same time
- You lead as well as you support teams
- You are open to creative & out of the box approaches to problem solving
- You have a strong willingness and self-discipline to contribute to and with a small team
- You have experience in handling large scale structured/unstructured data
- You are familiar with operational excellence processes (ex. Six Sigma, etc.)
- You are curious and have a passion to find and solve the root cause of problems
- Ability to lead priorities across multiple, simultaneous projects
- Strong empathy for consumers who depend on our product
- Strong PowerPoint and Excel (or equivalent) skills
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. Whether you are working from our offices in San Francisco, Santa Clara, and Chicago or are part of our globally distributed team, we are all in this together creating exciting remote work opportunities for a world of professionals. Our vibrant culture is built on a common mission and shared values. As we create economic opportunities so that people have better lives, our employees inspire a boundless future of work, build amazing teams, put our community first and have a bias towards action. We encourage team Upwork to bring their whole selves to work through learning and development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. All that and amazing benefits too? We’ve got you covered including the favorite Work online Wednesdays. Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.