Director, SEC Reporting & Technical Accounting at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Accounting team at Planet is seeking a Director, SEC Reporting and Technical Accounting, reporting to VP, Global Controller. The role will be responsible for the integrity and accuracy of the Company’s quarterly SEC Form 10-Q and annual SEC Form 10-K filings, as well as technical accounting analysis of significant or unusual transactions, or recently issued accounting updates. This role includes oversight and participation in various planning, drafting and other activities that facilitate the efficient completion of those filings..
Impact You’ll Own:
- Manages the coordination and preparation of financial statements and disclosures on Forms 10-Q, 10-K and 8-K with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Manages the preparation of the monthly consolidated financial statement variance analysis for management.
- Owns the review process of external deliverables to ensure accuracy and consistency with SEC filings and internal reports and documents, as well as compliance with SEC rules governing non-GAAP metrics.
- Manages the coordination and preparation of financial statements and other information for the Statistical Supplement to the Annual Report.
- Responsible for determining the impact from accounting and financial statement changes (such as acquisitions, divestitures, discontinued operations, and segment reporting) and directs steps necessary to correct or reflect adjustments to ensure accurate reporting.
- Provides professional advice and develops strategy for a broad range of accounting issues, and technical accounting analysis of significant or unusual transactions, or recently issued accounting updates.
- Lead the review of existing and proposed regulations of the FASB, SEC, and/or other authoritative bodies that formulate or have jurisdiction over financial reporting or accounting matters that will impact the Company.
- Own the interpretation and analysis of new accounting principles and regulatory decisions to assess the financial statement impact, and the implementation of accounting-related changes to ensure compliance.
- Plays a critical leadership role in the development of the Company's position relative to financial reporting and accounting issues, and reviews responses to authoritative rule-making bodies when appropriate in an effort to affect the final outcome.
- Keeps up to date on new innovative accounting and reporting tools and reviews proposed or alternate accounting and financial reporting processes.
What You Bring:
- Able to convey in original written correspondence and reports, complex technical matters in a clear and concise manner, adapted to the needs of technical and non-technical clients.
- Full understanding of the Big Picture and ability to interpret accounting and financial theories and concepts, and develop alternative solutions to the Company's current business and regulatory issues to enhance competitive positioning and maximize shareholder value.
- Able to articulate complex accounting matters to non-financial colleagues in a way that drives understanding and fosters effective decision-making, process improvements and collaboration
- Requires a thorough knowledge of accounting methods and techniques and the ability to apply both in problem solving.
- Skills in leadership and teambuilding, organizing, planning, controlling, coordinating, and delegating to effectively manage and develop staff, and achieve organizational goals.
- Possesses strong negotiation and interpersonal skills to persuade and influence those with divergent opinions toward consensus.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles generally accepted in the U.S.
- Technical proficiency in all FASB and SEC accounting and reporting issues applicable to the Company and its affiliates must be maintained.
- Knowledge of accounting systems and internal controls.
- Understanding of the interrelationship of utility rate making, tax, and general purpose accounting concepts is desirable.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- 10+ years previous experience, including Big 4 public accounting experience and SEC reporting experience with a publicly-traded company required
- Experience with SOX 404 and internal control over financial reporting required.
- Strong technical knowledge of U.S. GAAP and SEC accounting and reporting requirement required.
- Lead or supervisory experience required.
- Proven analytical, problem-solving, and strategic-thinking skills with a forward-looking focus.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to thrive in a team environment working with others.
- Experience with Workiva (Wdesk) and XBRL preferred but not required.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced environment.
- Familiarity with the Saas model, cost capitalization and inventory is highly preferred.
- Self-starter with proactive approach to problem identification and remediation
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-MS1