Are you intrigued by the thought of disrupting a trillion dollar industry through technology? At Opendoor, we’re on a mission to make it simple to buy and sell homes. The traditional process is broken, with an average home taking over 90 days to sell and costing thousands of dollars. We empower everyone with the freedom to move by making buying and selling a home stress-free and instant. We’ve built an exceptional team, seen strong growth, served over 80,000 customers (with an annual run rate of $5 billion), and raised $1.3 billion in funding. With Covid-19, the world is changing, and real estate is no exception. The coming years present a tremendous opportunity for innovation as we explore new frontiers and scale nationwide.
About the Role:
As the Director of SOX Compliance, you will develop, execute and lead the Company’s first SOX compliance program with the support of an external consulting firm. You will partner with cross functional teams across accounting, engineering, legal and human resources to execute this important project. This is an opportunity to have a visible impact on the organization and will require strong project management skills, clear communication, and the ability to bring various contributors together to achieve a combined goal. The ideal candidate is passionate about Opendoor, has proven experience implementing and leading a SOX program, has partnered with technical resources on the testing of IT General Controls, and can thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
As Director of Sox Compliance, you will:
- Oversee the Company’s internal controls over financial reporting for compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) and design the end-to-end SOX compliance program
- Manage the documentation, assessment, testing and monitoring of internal controls over financial reporting, including tracking control gaps and action plans to remediate weaknesses
- Coordinate the efforts between external auditors and internal business process / IT owners, including alignment on SOX planning, walkthroughs / testing, audit requests and deficiency evaluation
- Develop and provide routine training to the control owners to ensure a thorough understanding of the SOX program, control design, and the impact of their control(s) on Opendoor’s financial statements
- Prepare and routinely deliver executive management and audit committee materials, highlighting overall SOX progress and results
- Manage the external consultant and develop a long term plan for internal SOX compliance and internal audit after 2021
- Participate in process reviews and identify opportunities for significant enhancements in operational efficiency, overall effectiveness and identifiable benefits to the company
We're looking for teammates who have:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Accounting
- Big 4 public accounting experience with a CPA, CIA and/or CISA certifications
- 12+ Years of Experience (with 4-6 years of Progressive Management Experience)Advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Mastery of communication skills and styles, both written and verbal. Demonstrated ability to effectively present information to internal and external associates
- Experience in project management practices, including tooling and managing projects through a fast-paced and deadline-oriented SOX life cycle
- Knowledge of COSO framework and experience applying the framework in a manner that supports SOX compliance and operational efficiencies
- Experience preparing for initial SOX 404 (b) audit requirements
- Strategic thinker with demonstrated ability to influence and advanced ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret data
- Real estate industry experience
- High volume, data driven technology industry experience
- NetSuite or other ERP experience
- Basic understanding of SQL
More About Us
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Commuter Benefit stipend
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor values Openness
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Read Full Job Description