Economist - Experiments at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
Upwork conducts numerous large-scale, complex randomized controlled trials to understand its business and the impact of its feature changes and policies. These experiments are consequential: they impact customers and inform platform-wide policies. In this role, you will lead the experimentation function within Upwork, ensuring that Upwork is following best-practices in experiment design and analysis and building a body of knowledge from testing to shape future experiments. You will be a key member of the Product team and will work with several other Economists.Responsibilities:
- Run experimentation from end to end: test planning, test review, analysis and communication about experimental results.
- Work with each Product team to create a learning agenda. Then provide input into how each test is set-up to ensure we can measure what we want to measure with sufficient certainty, and that generalizing from the test will be practical.
- Develop software tools in R/SQL/Python that others can use that automatically create diagnostic plots, balance tables, tables of results for the most commonly used business metrics, and so on.
- Recommend improvements to the design and features of our in-house experimentation system.
- For each high consequence experiment, partner with the Analytics team to perform the analyses that cannot be readily automated-—was the treatment delivered? What were the effects of the experiment? What can we conclude about the intervention? What mode of human behavior does it speak to? How can we build on these results?
- Strong Economics training, including modern methods and the "Mostly Harmless" toolkit. You enjoy applying an economic lens to problems and think a "price theory" approach has a lot to offer.
- The ability to ask good questions and help various teams develop something like a "research agenda" for their area of focus.
- Experience as an R programmer who lives in tidyr, ggplot2, magrittr, etc. You can whip up plots in ggplot2 quickly.
- Strong SQL knowledge and the desire to get much better at it.
- Comfort with the linux command line and eagerness to learn more. You enjoy figuring technical things out. In another life, you could have imagined getting a PhD in CS.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.