Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
We’re looking for a passionate, self-motivated Finance Manager to join the Finance team. This role will be responsible for supporting the Space Systems team with financial reporting, R&D project support, building and enhancing financial models. As a member of the Finance team, you will work cross-functionally with the business and help support the overall company strategy. Due to the high-growth nature of our business, the duties and responsibilities of this position will evolve over time, so we are looking for someone who has the capacity and desire to grow with the position.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Support with annual planning, reporting and managing/supporting Space Systems team
- Work closely with the business partners to understand and develop cost structure - understand underlying business drivers
- Create detailed financial models and enhance existing models
- Manage R&D projects throughout the project lifecycle
- Work cross-functionally across the organization to drive process improvements, lead system requirements to streamline operations
- Work closely with the accounting team to ensure timely and accurate financial closes
- Highlighting trends and explaining causes of variances to forecast as part of month end close process
- Ad hoc financial modeling and analysis
What You Bring:
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, or other quantitative major
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in a financial, accounting or consulting role
- Knowledge of financial reporting, including accounting operations, processes, risks and controls
- Excellent financial modeling, Excel and presentation skills
- Self-starter who regularly takes initiative and can juggle multiple projects simultaneously, demonstrating creativity and judgment while prioritizing to meet tight deadlines
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with ERP systems (NetSuite) and BI tools (Anaplan)
- Ability to thrive in a high-growth startup environment
- Positive, get-it-done attitude and agile approach to problem solving
- Being able to prioritize multiple projects with high attention to detail
- CFA or similar professional qualification desirable
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.