FPGA Engineer at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
You will work in a small team of engineers responsible for the electrical design of Planet’s satellites. You will help develop FPGA infrastructure, functional specifications, implement new designs, and integrate commercial IP blocks. You will collaborate with electrical engineers, RF engineers, camera engineers, and firmware engineers to deliver fully validated designs before they get launched into orbit.
Impact You’ll Own:
- FPGA architecture definition, component selection and performance analysis
- Custom FPGA-based data pipeline, DSP, and digital comms designs; integration of 3rd party IP; timing analysis and closure
- RTL coding in Verilog/VHDL/SystemVerilog
- Lab verification and test bench automation of your designs
- Collaborate with EEs and firmware engineers to develop custom hardware and software around your designs
What You Bring:
- 4+ years of experience building, simulating, verifying, and testing FPGA based digital designs
- Ability to read and provide input into electrical schematics
- Embrace of version control systems (eg., git) and managing releases to production
- Hands-on test and debugging experience with logic analyzers and oscilloscopes
- Experience in scripting and programming (Python and C)
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience in hardware / software co-design
- Proficiency in formal verification methods for FPGA/ASIC design
- Experience interfacing with high speed ADCs, DACs, and/or image sensors
- Experience integrating high speed serial protocols including PCIe/NVMe, MIPI, CameraLink, JESD204B, etc
- Experience with field deployments, debug, and upgrades
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-MI1