Global Controller at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
We’re looking for a detail-oriented, curious, collaborative and analytical leader to help us achieve our operational and financial goals while embodying our company values. You will join a world-class Finance team as our Global Corporate Controller and will be part of the leadership team of Planet’s CFO/COO. The Corporate Controller is a proven professional who is responsible for the core operational aspects of accounting. This includes developing talent, balancing capabilities and working effectively cross-functionally in a rapidly changing and growing environment. We are looking for a leader who will implement financial processes and systems automation to scalably support Planet’s global growth.
The Corporate Controller collaborates to facilitate operations across the broader organization and is the leader of Planet's high-performing accounting team, which includes responsibility for the record to report cycle, month-end, quarterly and annual close processes, regulatory compliance, revenue, procure to pay, tax and treasure, financial and SEC reporting and SOX compliance. Success in this role is dependent on leadership, people development, process improvement, strategic execution, ability to deal with a rapidly changing business environment and strong communication skills internally and externally with our partners.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Lead a global team including hiring, mentoring and motivating and providing clear direction on strategy, goals and development.
- Oversee all accounting functions including: general ledger accounting, technical accounting & policy, consolidations, revenue accounting, tax and treasury, payroll, reporting and international accounting with teams across different regions.
- Lead, develop and improve the global close processes (monthly/ quarterly/ annually) and systems for a fast-paced, rapidly growing data-as-a-service and analytics company.
- Oversee PCAOB audit process by external independent auditors resulting in timely and high-quality audit outcomes.
- Establish and maintain accounting policies, leading practices and procedures to ensure US GAAP compliance and ensure controllership policies are aligned globally.
- Oversee all accounting integration & valuation for mergers & acquisitions.
- Work with the Internal Audit team to improve internal controls to ensure SOX compliance with all processes within the controllership organization.
- Work closely with the financial planning & analysis team on reporting efforts and monthly accruals related to budgeting and forecasting.
- Oversee the research of recently issued technical U.S. GAAP and SEC pronouncements, and review the interpretations of the implications to the organization through review of technical accounting memos and/ or presentations.
- Oversee and review SEC filings, including forms 8-K, 10-Q, and 10-K, along with associated earning releases.
- Strong understanding of GAAP and financial accounting standards, particularly with application of ASC 606, recent accounting standards and processes as they apply to SaaS and consumption based business models.
What You Bring:
- 15+ years with a mix of Big 4 and industry experience as a public company Corporate Controller or Assistant Controller of large public corporation.
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance or accounting; MBA a plus ; CPA required (inactive ok)
- Comprehensive understanding of financial accounting and reporting under US GAAP and SEC requirements.
- Merger & acquisition and integration accounting experience.
- Deep technical knowledge and experience with design and implementation of accounting policies, procedures and systems.
- Previous experience in a public company SOX environment.
- Proven success in developing and leading a team of people using a collaborative management style in a public company environment.
- Knowledge of accounting and related systems: NetSuite, Coupa, Concur, Avalara, Workiva, SFDC etc.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills and customer orientation.
- Detail oriented with ability to see big picture, excellent communication skills (written, verbal) and partnership skills.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.