Payroll Compliance at Gusto
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Gusto is seeking a Payroll Compliance professional to play an integral part in all things payroll. As Gusto scales and expands, this team is frequently called upon to help research requirements, communicate upcoming changes to internal and external customers, assist with internal testing, resolve issues, review processes, and conduct training.
We are looking for a new team member that likes being “in the know” about all new payroll compliance rules, enjoys reading and deciphering complex legislation and regulations, is eager to translate compliance rules into simple systems and processes, and can coordinate between internal teams. Prior experience explaining complex payroll and tax rules and coordinating with engineering teams is strongly preferred. Individual should have excellent communication skills to broadcast compliance changes to large audiences (verbally and in writing).
You should be a team player who is comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment. You'll have the opportunity to roll up your sleeves and play a vital role in the development and growth of the payroll infrastructure as Gusto continues to scale.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Research new payroll and HR-related compliance rules, and track upcoming changes and legislation
- Document requirements and communicate to internal teams promptly; ability to effectively lead meetings and drive for results using matrix management skills
- Anticipate and quickly resolve open questions
- Establish metrics, prioritize new features and system enhancements using risk assessments, cost/benefit analysis, and ROI calculations, and monitor and report on our progress on metrics and goals.
- Identify ways to improve our systems, processes, documentation, training and communications
- Build relationships with federal, state and/or municipal tax authorities, other industry members and vendors
- Customer-service mindset, and support our customer care advocates with impeccable compliance research
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 4+ years of relevant experience.
- Subject matter expert on payroll and/or payroll tax compliance
- Experience offering guidance and opinions to internal teams regarding the best course of action using data and your experience
- Ability to handle internal and external escalations (i.e. addressing delays, questions, and other concerns directly with senior administrators at taxing authorities)
- Ability to research and translate compliance changes into process-driven documentation for operational teams
- Excellent communication skills and ability to provide status updates to engineering and customer-facing partners
- Strong working knowledge of payroll and/or payroll tax filing requirements at the federal, state, and/or local levels
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.